• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November Knock-Out

Right ... just hope it doesn't fade away by 12/1 and decide once is enough ... o_O
That's my biggest concern about this winter. I get the vibe this will be one of those years where we are cold to start then do the quick flip to locked warm. I think the overall amount of high latitude blocking is encouraging but I would like to see some disruption of the strat vortex. Maybe we can do that from the bottom up over eurasia.

Looks like RDU will set a record low max for the date so that's impressive

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's my biggest concern about this winter. I get the vibe this will be one of those years where we are cold to start then do the quick flip to locked warm. I think the overall amount of high latitude blocking is encouraging but I would like to see some disruption of the strat vortex. Maybe we can do that from the bottom up over eurasia.

Like the old timers used to say down here (being Wilmington to Jax) - cold before Christmas, spring in January; cold at and after Christmas, azaleas bloom in March. Been around that block so many times, I know they knew what they were talking about (1977-78 notwithstanding).

Something like 1989-90 maybe? Dec was frigid, with a big snowstorm right before Christmas that everyone west of I-95 missed. Then the rest of winter was warm.

Something like 1989-90 maybe? Dec was frigid, with a big snowstorm right before Christmas that everyone west of I-95 missed. Then the rest of winter was warm.
89-90, 01-02, 05-06 are some years that resemble what I'm thinking as far as we get winter early then meh.

The older I get the more I hate summers in the south. I just can't stand how long it lasts. It takes a toll. People who enjoy summers in the south need to have their head examined.

that's just my problem with Texas, yall think its long over there, but we can be hot well into October and even November(as evidenced by this year)

Thats what I cant stand really...

The winters being sucky I mean I'm used to it lol I remember many years in a row in Alabama it never snowed when I was younger. Been here 3 winters and only one was actually snowless so far

Somehow it snowed last winter even though it was the warmest winter on record here, lol

Last edited:
I'm beginning to dislike summer as well. It's fun until about July 4th then it's just misery.

High on a West facing slope in the NC mountains, seems like it would be ideal!!

that's just my problem with Texas, yall think its long over there, but we can be hot well into October and even November(as evidenced by this year)

Thats what I cant stand really...

The winters being sucky I mean I'm used to it lol I remember many years in a row in Alabama it never snowed when I was younger. Been here 3 winters and only one was actually snowless so far

Somehow it snowed last winter even though it was the warmest winter on record here, lol
I'm worried with the climate warming that summers will only get worse. It already seems like summers last way longer than they used to. Maybe there will be a great migration to the north in the next 50 years.

That was a hell of a great snowstorm. I actually didn't realize snow fell and accumulated that far south into GA or that far NW GA got screwed completely or maybe I did and just forgot because it's been so long ago. I was 9 back then, I remember the snow started on that Wednesday because I was out of school that day and the remainder of the week. That was the only time I could remember being out of school for more than 1 day for snow at that time. This storm and January 9-10, 2011 are definitely in my top 2. *sighs* Mother Nature doesn't make snowstorms like she used to.:(

EDIT: I would love to have another winter like 2001-02 if it meant being patient for a big one like this again. Heck, I'll take my chances on any winter from the early 2000s (2000-2005) all of them produced something whether it was snow or ice or both.

Last edited:
High imby was 45 today, low 43. .05 rain

Nice wedge day. Gonna stay below normal for the next 7 days atleast. Nov on a path to avg below normal at Greensboro pti if what I'm seeing on models verefies late Nov.

I would take a mild winter if we also got a good snowstorm like the 01-02 winter. I loved that Jan 02 storm. We had some very heavy snow at the tail end of that storm around 6 or 7am. Then i remember a couple of weeks later it was very warm. Well into the 70s.

here is the write up from GSP for the Upstate of SC/Western NC for the Jan 2-3, 2002 snow
(the SE Charlotte suburbs were hammered!):
2-3_Jan_2002_snowmap.gif

Wow!! What a very cold run for the southeast, and it stays a while

In a hurry, cant post image but someone will be very happy in the southeast end of month if this trend continues

Back