• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November 2023

I guess we are having fall this year ?

November snow last year did us no good for the winter so I'm fine with waiting

I get people are tired of warmth but like it's not like warmth now is like summer either...

View attachment 137727
IDK I think 80 is at least 15 degrees too warm for this time of year. IAD average is 63/40

This was Nov 1995 before that big winter. Not sure if that was an El Nino but it was wet and cold.
View attachment 137731
Oddly enough that was a weak La Niña, and it was definitely not a normal one. December was slightly below average, but did get mild a few days after Christmas into the first couple days of the January. Then of course there was the big storm of 1/6-1/8 followed by a few days of very cold temperatures then another significant storm on 1/11-1/12… after that things got mostly mild with some quick in and out cold snaps for the rest of the month followed of course by the huge ice/sleet storm across the southeast and the Arctic blast that followed it. I think the western and central Carolinas had another smaller snow event around mid February.

The only winters I remember being wall to wall cold,
Was in the 70's.
77/78 was bitter.
75/76 seems was very cold also.
Along with 79/80.
As for the warmistas,
I was once in the as cold as possible for as long as possible camp.
I've crossed over to the other side.
The older you get the cold affects you much more than the heat does.
Also it just seems that extreme cold damages much more than extreme heat.
Pipes bursting !
Plus I've gotten extremely cheap in my old age.
Warm saves a ton on the natural gas bill.
Doesn't mean I don't want cold or winter weather.
I'll take some 10° nights or colder with plenty of snow storms but after a few at most,
Enough bugs and snakes should be dead to move on to moderate winter conditions.
I'm ready to be in the 60 to 70 for highs and 30-45 for lows.
Good sleeping weather and easy on the bills.

76-77 was alot more cold than 77-78 but all of them were legendary. Trust me, this forum would have more action than Bill Clinton ?? if we ever get anything remotely similar. Just saying. Lots of drawer changing lol

Last edited:
The only winters I remember being wall to wall cold,
Was in the 70's.
77/78 was bitter.
75/76 seems was very cold also.
Along with 79/80.
As for the warmistas,
I was once in the as cold as possible for as long as possible camp.
I've crossed over to the other side.
The older you get the cold affects you much more than the heat does.
Also it just seems that extreme cold damages much more than extreme heat.
Pipes bursting !
Plus I've gotten extremely cheap in my old age.
Warm saves a ton on the natural gas bill.
Doesn't mean I don't want cold or winter weather.
I'll take some 10° nights or colder with plenty of snow storms but after a few at most,
Enough bugs and snakes should be dead to move on to moderate winter conditions.
I'm ready to be in the 60 to 70 for highs and 30-45 for lows.
Good sleeping weather and easy on the bills.
LOL I'm the opposite. The heat really gets to me now. Also very boring to track heat.

76-77 was alot more cold than 77-78 but all of them were legendary. Trust me, this forum would have more action than Bill Clinton ?? if we ever get anything remotely similar. Just saying. Lots of drawer changing lol

I don't remember the years exactly so I may of been a year off,
I just know 70-80 had some wall to wall cold and 5 good winter storms wasn't that uncommon at that time.
Also their wasn't an East Coast vs West Coast type of Troughing or setup back then.
I distinctly remember west to east coast cold.
Sure their was a pockets of warmth here or their in Southern Cali, Arizona, Texas, & Florida but that was it.
I know I've seen Rain Cold comment of this in some of my past posts.
So I'm not the only one that remembers these winters.
I distinctly remember either 77 or 78 Miami reporting snow flurries for the only time in the existence of their weather stations down their from the time record keeping began through today.
The 80's were pretty good for winter weather also.
I hear that the 60's were too.
I'm just not old enough to remember that,
I can tell you,
That we seem to not have True Miller A's like we used to have prior to 90 that would snow Dallas to ATL to the Carolinas from I-20 to I-40.
It used to be an almost certainty that if Dallas got snow places East from ATL north to at least I40 was guaranteed a good snowstorm.
I miss those so much.

That's why I prefer 95/96. Got early dismissal from school in early Nov for sleet and then had low 20s in late April. In b/w had ups and downs of course but saw significant cold each month with multiple winter events. That winter is my gold standard.
Anything below 20 is too cold under any circumstances. 32 will get you are good snowstorm if other things are right for it.

Already down to 43 here. If the winds had been as calm yesterday evening as what we’re seeing tonight, there would have been widespread lows near 20 and probably some upper teens in the NC Piedmont this morning. Dewpoints last night were in the 11-16F range across the region then. Tonight they’ve bumped back up to the 25-29f range. This really was a very impressive airmass for early November when you consider the source regions in NW Canada and northern Alaska haven’t really built up anything overly impressive yet in terms of home grown cold air.

Back