• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November 2023

The last few years we've had cooler novembers and we've gotten nothing for it because the cold air runs out. We all know there's not enough cold air to last November through March non-stop. So it needs to happen during our climatology best chances for snow.
True. I just have to move back far enough north so that climatology works in my favor more often than not. I used to think i would like living in the south, but the longer i stay here the less i like it...LOL:)

Yeah it looks like most of the outlooks are calling for more of a pattern switch say Mid-January or so.
Most niños are back loaded, meaning if you are going to see cold and snow, it's happening later than earlier. It's so difficult for any forecaster to even guess what each winter will be like. Of course most are paid to try there best, but it's a crapshoot in reality. In contrast, laninas are front loaded, meaning most cold and snow opportunities are earlier rather than later.

What's with all the warmanistas in here??? Sad.:p
Well I think a lot of us remember that we’ve seen a number of cool Novembers the last few years and then the pattern has been flipping to a December torch. Cold in November isn’t going to lead to snow outside the mountains in the southeast 99% of the time.

We hear about the 09/10 winter so much, if you go back and look that fall started warm until mid December.
You’re absolutely right. There were quick in and out cold shots in November and early December, but there wasn’t any lasting cold until a mid December right before the 12/18-19 winter storm. Then after staying cold through New Years, it warmed back up and stayed mostly mild until the last week of January

We hear about the 09/10 winter so much, if you go back and look that fall started warm until mid December.
That's why I prefer 95/96. Got early dismissal from school in early Nov for sleet and then had low 20s in late April. In b/w had ups and downs of course but saw significant cold each month with multiple winter events. That winter is my gold standard.

The only winters I remember being wall to wall cold,
Was in the 70's.
77/78 was bitter.
75/76 seems was very cold also.
Along with 79/80.
As for the warmistas,
I was once in the as cold as possible for as long as possible camp.
I've crossed over to the other side.
The older you get the cold affects you much more than the heat does.
Also it just seems that extreme cold damages much more than extreme heat.
Pipes bursting !
Plus I've gotten extremely cheap in my old age.
Warm saves a ton on the natural gas bill.
Doesn't mean I don't want cold or winter weather.
I'll take some 10° nights or colder with plenty of snow storms but after a few at most,
Enough bugs and snakes should be dead to move on to moderate winter conditions.
I'm ready to be in the 60 to 70 for highs and 30-45 for lows.
Good sleeping weather and easy on the bills.

Back