• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Natural and World events ( non political stuff )

5.1 earthquake this morning centered in Sparta ! People as far away as Raleigh felt it . I felt nothing so Raleigh was as Far East as it could be felt .

5.1 earthquake this morning centered in Sparta ! People as far away as Raleigh felt it . I felt nothing so Raleigh was as Far East as it could be felt .

Didnt feel it here either so I am suspect of some of these reports on this map lol....

Here is the benchmark for eastern US quakes......if this repeated today it would be very very bad over a pretty large area since nothing is built to earthquake codes here to withstand this kind of quake....

Surprised NC hasn’t seen more than 5.1 and sc has of all places ! Yeah would be a calamity if that happened again. Hell a 6.0 would probably be a calamity.

Here is the benchmark for eastern US quakes......if this repeated today it would be very very bad over a pretty large area since nothing is built to earthquake codes here to withstand this kind of quake....

That’s odd that the article says CHS was in the midst of a bad heatwave that was keeping folks indoors. Per NWS, SAV, AUG, and ATL had highs only in the 80s in late August.

That’s odd that the article says CHS was in the midst of a bad heatwave that was keeping folks indoors. Per NWS, SAV, AUG, and ATL had highs only in the 80s in late August.

Seems that since it was hot a lot of indoor activities took place later in the day so it would not be so hot inside, though I think this was fairly common practice in the south during the summer pre A/C......thus a lot of buildings that normally would be empty had people in them when the quake struck...

Common knowledge stuff on this forum I'm sure, but this doc is pretty cool. I'm currently obsessed with nature/geography documentaries right now:

If this was a terrorist act, foreign or domestic, I wonder if it was somehow mistimed and meant to happen yesterday with everything closed today for Christmas

Back