• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Natural and World events ( non political stuff )

Shaggy

Reaction score

Downeastnc

Reaction score
Incredible shock wave. Curious to see what material(s) were involved
Some reports are it was a munitions warehouse for ( insert favorite terrorist group here) but the big red cloud is a dead giveaway for that time honored source a huge explosions the world over good ole ammonia nitrate.....news report state there were 2750 TONS of ammonia nitrate stored there and well that would explain a lot I mean that puts this about 1/6th the power of the Hiroshima bomb......

"Diab said it was "unacceptable" that a shipment of ammonium nitrate estimated at 2,750 tons had been in warehouse for six years without "preventive measures" in place to protect it. The chemical compound, which is commercially available, is used widely in fertilizers and explosives."

Last edited:

Sandbar

Reaction score
Some reports are it was a munitions warehouse for ( insert favorite terrorist group here) but the big red cloud is a dead giveaway for that time honored source a huge explosions the world over good ole ammonia nitrate.....news report state there were 2750 TONS of ammonia nitrate stored there and well that would explain a lot I mean that puts this about 1/6th the power of the Hiroshima bomb......

"Diab said it was "unacceptable" that a shipment of ammonium nitrate estimated at 2,750 tons had been in warehouse for six years without "preventive measures" in place to protect it. The chemical compound, which is commercially available, is used widely in fertilizers and explosives."
I wouldnt rule out a purposeful attack here. One large blast of that magnitude. Be interesting to see the intelligence that comes about

Downeastnc

Reaction score
I wouldnt rule out a purposeful attack here. One large blast of that magnitude. Be interesting to see the intelligence that comes about
It does sure look like a fireworks/munition type event to start with.........and unfortunately for the city they had 2700 tons of ammonia nitrate stored to close and boom......

Last edited:

Brent

Reaction score
If it is strictly an accident then it's very similar to this

Of course being that's it's the Mideast I'm definitely skeptical

Screenshot_20200805-014528.png

Downeastnc

Reaction score
Folks on twitter found this image that matches the warehouse in videos, apparently there were people trying to WELD something near or in the warehouse full of AMPOL......this is why we have OSHA....they also confirm the were keeping "fireworks" next door....

Live Stream video since obviously this guy didnt make it....

Crater left behind filled with sea water and the grain silos emptied into the crater....

EeospS6XgAAOKbk.jpg

Last edited:

superjames1992

Rates Will Overcome All
Reaction score

Shaggy

Reaction score
A Russian abandoned ship may be the source of the nitrate. A source warning is needed here since it's from the daily beast.

Sandbar

Reaction score
Ive seen daisy cutters go off close enough to my position to feel the effects of shock wave and its an experience. This blast was incredible......crazy footage

Downeastnc

Reaction score
Ive seen daisy cutters go off close enough to my position to feel the effects of shock wave and its an experience. This blast was incredible......crazy footage
estimates are 1-2 KT's and we got video from inside 1000 meters....the video of the roof of the car crushing with people standing around is nuts to me.....those people dealt with some serious overpressure, it also likely that Beirut will single handily require all the worlds widow glass production for the next several months....

SASQUATCH

President of I-20 Snow Hole
Reaction score
Folks on twitter found this image that matches the warehouse in videos, apparently there were people trying to WELD something near or in the warehouse full of AMPOL......this is why we have OSHA....they also confirm the were keeping "fireworks" next door....

Live Stream video since obviously this guy didnt make it....

Crater left behind filled with sea water and the grain silos emptied into the crater....

View attachment 46074
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't diesel fuel have to be added to ammonium nitrate for it to explode? Might have been some diesel stored in there somewhere (which would be crazy).

Downeastnc

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't diesel fuel have to be added to ammonium nitrate for it to explode? Might have been some diesel stored in there somewhere (which would be crazy).
no actually ammonia nitrate can explode all on its own, this explosion has a lot of mitigating factors, the bags were bulk ( 1-2k lbs per) and they were stacked together in a damp warehouse....this allowed pressure and moisture to cause these bags of granular AN to clump and harden....so once it caught on fire a part of it reached threshold and exploded, since the AN was clumped up and hardened the explosion was able to propagate through the rest of the AN more efficiently, so instead of a slower release of energy it all went off at once.....the perfect storm of conditions really....there was actually some fireworks in one end of the warehouse and these apparently were set on fire by welders, this caused a fire that eventually caused the explosion.

Lickwx

Get Licked Buddy!
Reaction score
I do wish more Southern States would invest in roads like North Carolina does.. South Carolina roads are the worst overall.
North Carolina over invests in its roads . They are 4 laneing roads in rural counties with declining populations. Too fat of a budget so they have to spend their money or they get cut ... no surprise at the projects .

Bham 99

Reaction score
North Carolina over invests in its roads . They are 4 laneing roads in rural counties with declining populations. Too fat of a budget so they have to spend their money or they get cut ... no surprise at the projects .
As someone who drives a lot for my job in non-covid times, more lanes the better even in rural areas at least for passing.