• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Natural and World events ( non political stuff )

That report isn’t anything new. Every condo, building etc gets the same reports during inspection s in the all states. Nothing in that report points to the collapse. I’m still leaning to the ground fault issue.

I dunno there is plenty of pictures and damage detailed in the report showing the building had significant damage especially to load bearing structures...the building was also built on reclaim and was sinking.....this was all known and they still let hundreds of people live there. Its a roll of the dice, they knew the building was a risk, the repairs would be extremely costly and disruptive, they just assumed it would not actually fall down...they were just about to start further repairs but in this case it was too late....the frequency of these kind of things will increase as building age out and are not repaired....

"A consultant in 2018 urged the managers to repair cracked columns and crumbling concrete. The work was finally about to get underway when the building collapsed."

At the ground level of the complex, vehicles can drive in next to a pool deck where residents would lounge in the sun. Mr. Morabito in 2018 said that the waterproofing below the pool deck and entrance drive was failing, “causing major structural damage to the concrete structural slab below these areas.”

The report added that “failure to replace the waterproofing in the near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially.” The problem, he said, was that the waterproofing was laid on a concrete slab that was flat, not sloped in a way that would allow water to run off, an issue he called a “major error” in the original design. The replacement would be “extremely expensive,” he warned, and cause a major disturbance to residents.

“Abundant cracking and spalling of varying degrees was observed in the concrete columns, beams, and walls,” Mr. Morabito wrote. He included photos of cracks in the columns of the parking garage as well as concrete crumbling — a process engineers refer to as “spalling” — that exposed steel reinforcements on the garage deck.

Researchers analyzing space-based radar had also identified land that was sinking at the property in the 1990s. The 2020 study found subsidence in other areas of the region, but on the east side of the barrier island where Surfside is, the condo complex was the only place where the issue was detected.

If y’all want to really get freaked out you should read the reports on the bridge and overpasses . Boy that would make you never want to cross or go under one. That’s the true problem in the US.

My FIL worked for DOT and was one of the main inspectors for bridge repair replacements, he said the last 20 yrs the canes washing out bridges have actually saved lives by forcing them to replace lots of small bridges that are way past their life span.....but overpasses and bridges are 100% the biggest thing that needs replacing. Its a shame our leaders cant seem to work out this infrastructure deal like adults and actually do what is best for the people of the US instead of the special interest and party loyalist.

I dunno there is plenty of pictures and damage detailed in the report showing the building had significant damage especially to load bearing structures...the building was also built on reclaim and was sinking.....this was all known and they still let hundreds of people live there. Its a roll of the dice, they knew the building was a risk, the repairs would be extremely costly and disruptive, they just assumed it would not actually fall down...they were just about to start further repairs but in this case it was too late....the frequency of these kind of things will increase as building age out and are not repaired....

"A consultant in 2018 urged the managers to repair cracked columns and crumbling concrete. The work was finally about to get underway when the building collapsed."

At the ground level of the complex, vehicles can drive in next to a pool deck where residents would lounge in the sun. Mr. Morabito in 2018 said that the waterproofing below the pool deck and entrance drive was failing, “causing major structural damage to the concrete structural slab below these areas.”

The report added that “failure to replace the waterproofing in the near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially.” The problem, he said, was that the waterproofing was laid on a concrete slab that was flat, not sloped in a way that would allow water to run off, an issue he called a “major error” in the original design. The replacement would be “extremely expensive,” he warned, and cause a major disturbance to residents.

“Abundant cracking and spalling of varying degrees was observed in the concrete columns, beams, and walls,” Mr. Morabito wrote. He included photos of cracks in the columns of the parking garage as well as concrete crumbling — a process engineers refer to as “spalling” — that exposed steel reinforcements on the garage deck.

Researchers analyzing space-based radar had also identified land that was sinking at the property in the 1990s. The 2020 study found subsidence in other areas of the region, but on the east side of the barrier island where Surfside is, the condo complex was the only place where the issue was detected.
I read that too but if the county inspectors thought it was bad enough that place would be condemned. The degree of damage to a building always looks worse to the people that don’t understand how these things work and the degree of Corrosion and cracking. . The sinking ground was the major issue. Any building that is 40 plus years old has issues. I see it everyday here in Atlanta.

That report isn’t anything new. Every condo, building etc gets the same reports during inspection s in the all states. Nothing in that report points to the collapse. I’m still leaning to the ground fault issue.

Seems if this is true that this could add credence to the reports concern surrounding the pool area.

I read that too but if the county inspectors thought it was bad enough that place would be condemned. The degree of damage to a building always looks worse to the people that don’t understand how these things work and the degree of Corrosion and cracking. . The sinking ground was the major issue. Any building that is 40 plus years old has issues. I see it everyday here in Atlanta.

Maybe we will see the number of condemned buildings rise after this since obviously the system failed these peoples.....we are talking hundreds of lives here lost, maybe we need to reevaluate what criteria is needed to close buildings. In this case the degree of damage was exactly what it looked like.....

Maybe we will see the number of condemned buildings rise after this since obviously the system failed these peoples.....we are talking hundreds of lives here lost, maybe we need to reevaluate what criteria is needed to close buildings. In this case the degree of damage was exactly what it looked like.....
I agree but then money and politics gets involved and you know how that turns out. Central Florida and south Florida is a ticking time bomb but they bring in most of the money for the state. They have done a good job lately on code upgrades but they are still behind. Trying to determine sink holes is like trying to determine which thunderstorm will produce a tornado. It’s really tough.

Biggest story of 2021 is probably gonna be the western drought. Forest Fires will get the attention. But consider Lake Meade is sitting at 1068 feet. Its dropping .7+ a day. The hoover dam starts loosing capacity to generate electricity at low 1000 range. Completely looses it at 950. Yes the water is a huge deal. But I think the hoover dam provides electricity to almost all of the southern half of California. Or the overwhelming lions share. By late October/November, if not sooner its gonna be lights out. They really need some upstream rains,run offs fast.

I was just checking the CDC's "death from all causes" data set and ran across something very interesting. They have a category for "Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R99)" and normally, this averages around 678 deaths per week. Lately, it's averaging around 2,000 deaths per week and it's climbing. It's not Covid because they have a category for that. I wonder what it could be? It exceeds Covid deaths now, by the way.

This is very troubling.

Back