• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

EURO still off the rails with wind next week. Even worse. Make the dead March thread great again:D
View attachment 36469

Not just the Euro the GFS also has winds well into the 50-70 mph range over a lot of SC-VA, there is a big high offshore and strong low so the gradient will be packed in but still this is overdone and we probably are realistically looking at peak gust to around 50 being much more likely assuming this setup plays out as modeled.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2020022712_162_480_379.png

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2020022718_144_480_377.png

What's that overlook over there near Pisgah? Graveyard or something. It is an old blowover site where the decaying root balls of the trees now looks like a cemetery. Some crazy wind event many years ago caused that.
Graveyard Fields. There was a fire there many many years ago that wiped out all of the trees and growth. There are new trees now. The types of trees seen there now tend to shed their leaves sooner than the rest of the trees down the parkway. That coupled with the high elevation is why you can ride up to graveyard fields several weeks before peak foliage to see the leaves beginning to turn and fall. I went in October and it was magical.

Writing has been on the wall for this for a while. The models did the reverse head fake this time and showed warm then back to cold. Im not sold on us being out of the woods for snow potential either

About an inch which melted by midday. Higher amounts to the north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t Sandy Springs actually get accumulating snow? I saw it all along I-285 on north side via traffic cams.

Do you mean this?
5a7858f01e4ecd8151e2d43831b0222b.jpg

I’m above average for snow for once so this winter has been great.

Do you mean this?
5a7858f01e4ecd8151e2d43831b0222b.jpg

I’m above average for snow for once so this winter has been great.

No, I don’t mean what you got. I’m talking about @SSGa hometown of Sandy Springs after he asked “What winter?”

I’m posting this from the 12Z Euro not because I believe it but just for the record (the run is much colder than the prior run, which is good reason to not believe it and think it is overdone as even the Euro has had a significant cold bias recently): note that amounts under 1/2” don’t show here

4DFE62EB-4BC6-460F-B204-AF37E657F435.png

Yeah the Euro sure tried to make it interesting....

View attachment 36512
So the euro is later and colder, and further south than the GFS, the ICON is suppressed to nowhere, and the CMC is similar to the GFS but north. Quite interesting the Euro has strong storms and temps in the 40s in N GA vs the GFS's 60s and storms.

"The 15-Day forecast totals 294.3 GWHDDs, ranking 14th fewest for the period among records dating back to 1950. It is warmer than normal and over the same period a year ago (388 in 2019 ranked 10th coldest for the period). The forecast resides on the warm side of model consensus, with only the 18z GFS OP projecting a lower total over the past 24 hours. All models have been cold biased of late, particularly in the near term. Monday’s 0z run for the Monday to Thursday period saw our forecast missing by 0.3 GWHDDs, while cold errors from the models include the GFS OP by 2.7, the Euro OP by 4.7, the Euro EN by 6.0, the GFS EN by 6.8 and the CAN EN by 12.5." from Maxar this morning

The cold bias never ends. :confused:

No, I don’t mean what you got. I’m talking about @SSGa hometown of Sandy Springs after he asked “What winter?”
We got an inch in Sandy Springs ITP. Lost about half to melting, but even still the trees were coated and roads were covered for a few hours . All in all it was a nice event given the unlikeliness of how it all came together and how sucky the winter had been to that point. No complaints from me!

Cold biased or not it’s interesting to see the euro trending towards something interesting in the medium range ... definitely much different from earlier solutions shown.. I guess this goes without saying but this time period needs to be watched ?

Surprised this place is so dead with the way models have started trending in the medium range ... maybe one last hurrah setting up ... then again everyone here is probably drained with disappointment.. I know I am .. it’s hard to try and hope one more time

Back