• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

In light of this being the 40th anniversary of the March 1980 blizzard, I've reanalyzed this storm's snowfall totals in NC. I merged information from the popular statewide map from NWS RAH and data from the NC State Climate Office, NWS MHX's case study analysis, SERCC, & NCEI's IPS, in addition to personal accounts of the storm. Cherry point & Emerald Isle on the SE Coast of NC picked up a whopping 30" from this storm.
Special thanks to @Downeastnc & @tramadoc for their recounts of this storm and totals. I definitely believe at least 20" fell in Greenville & a swath of >2" started around the Va border in extreme NE NC and extended well into SE VA.
March 1-2 1980 NC Snowmap Reanalyzed.png

Last edited:
In light of this being the 40th anniversary of the March 1980 blizzard, I've reanalyzed this storm's snowfall totals in NC. I merged information from the popular statewide map from NWS RAH and data from the NC State Climate Office, NWS MHX's case study analysis, SERCC, & NCEI's IPS, in addition to personal accounts of the storm. Cherry point & Emerald Isle on the SE Coast of NC picked up a whopping 30" from this storm.
Special thanks to @Downeastnc & @tramadoc for their recounts of this storm and totals. I definitely believe at least 20" fell in Greenville & a swath of >2" started around the Va border in extreme NE NC and extended well into SE VA.
View attachment 36681

I lived across from Emerald Isle in Cape Carteret and I remember a red wagon I had in the front yard was buried with just a bit of the handle sticking out and the drifts where 6+ ft which buried our car which was a red Vega. There was also plenty of thunder and lightning. I was 4 and a half at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 36681

This map is much more believable than the "official" one....my folks got pictures somewhere of this storm and us in the yard with our snow fort etc....if I can find them I will share....

Maybe some hailers tommorow in NC/SC, that’s a lot of flow aloft around 5-8km 91F2183C-9527-44D7-BC76-574D9F26C73F.png0A63CDFF-12F2-432E-BFAB-6276AD6BC920.png

Had this been a Miller A snowstorm, it would have trended to rain for the majority of this board. Brutal NW trend View attachment 36682

Lmfao we're trending back towards severe weather again.

Lol this forecast in just 3 days has gone from severe >>> flooding >>> dry (snow ? [x] doubt) >>> flooding (again) >>> severe ?

gfs_cape_seus_fh78_trend.gif

Holy mf ----, look at dat hodo !!!! Low level wind energy is so strong it’s raising STP/SPC values in areas that has a inversion and temps in the 40s (NC/SC border) !!!!! View attachment 36687View attachment 36688

Nice weak in-situ CAD dome evident here too, definitely could provide some additional low-level shear to any storm that manages to develop up this way. We're gonna need the NW trend on the GFS to continue for a while longer...

Nice weak in-situ CAD dome evident here too, definitely could provide some additional low-level shear to any storm that manages to develop up this way. We're gonna need the NW trend on the GFS to continue for a while longer...

If any part of warm sector makes it into that, it’s gonna be a big issue, lol

View attachment 36681

Shiloh, in southern Camden County had exactly 28” of snow that storm. Most of Camden County was between 28-30” with the exception being the farthest southern point, Camden Point Shores which had 25”. You did a great job with this update. Much more true to form than the ones we see from time to time.

View attachment 36681
Correct me if I’m wrong but is this not the only time other than February 1899, that all of both North and South Carolina had at least 1 inch of snow on the ground?

Correct me if I’m wrong but is this not the only time other than February 1899, that all of both North and South Carolina had at least 1 inch of snow on the ground?

Almost all of the Carolinas had 1" of snow on the ground, areas west & southwest of Charleston SC near the GA border only received trace amounts

Back