• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

Not too sure. Seems to me the models are blocking the moisture on the other side of the mountains, but things could change.
Yeah I've notice that to, but now with recent runs there now looking better for that area. Also Friday night Saturday system looks good for that area

Yeah I've notice that to, but now with recent runs there now looking better for that area. Also Friday night Saturday system looks good for that area
You could always take a 90 minute detour and drive up to Newfound Gap in NC. They’re sure to get crushed

Not too sure. Seems to me the models are blocking the moisture on the other side of the mountains, but things could change.
How is north Georgia looking for Friday night and Saturday morning? I’m about 40 miles north of Atlanta.

Maybe not from clipper snow. But who knows. They have a Twitter that updates the closure of 441 between Cherokee and Gatlinburg

I could be wrong but I think Newfound Gap Rd is closed throughout winter.

Okay I am wrong, I must be thinking of something else that you can go to on that road that's almost for sure mostly closed in winter (and I think people go skiing down that road as well).

I think there's a decent chance flakes fly in Clayton (they might actually fly on multiple days) but if he felt up to it, I would probably recommend a short side trip when his work is done, not to Newfound Gap though haha. I think you could potentially do something simple, get on 441/23 N out of Clayton and drive for a short while into SW NC and if this were to not change (can't count on that at all), I don't think you'd have to go far to see some accums.

I'm now saying something I probably wouldn't do as I'm a nightie, but you could possibly get up early on Saturday, drive to Franklin, have breakfast there, and then start driving home.

So are we thinking it's looking pretty much dry (NE GA) through the weekend and hopefully Monday? Or at least no flooding systems?

I agree,something doesn't look right about that? and the end of one decade should be exactly where the next decade begins?
No it shouldn't be where the previous one ends. These are averages of decades. And I can't remember at the moment the reason for the later peak but it makes sense.

Okay I am wrong, I must be thinking of something else that you can go to on that road that's almost for sure mostly closed in winter (and I think people go skiing down that road as well).
You are probably thinking of Clingman’s Dome Rd which is at Newfound Gap. It is closed for the season.

I think there's a decent chance flakes fly in Clayton (they might actually fly on multiple days) but if he felt up to it, I would probably recommend a short side trip when his work is done, not to Newfound Gap though haha. I think you could potentially do something simple, get on 441/23 N out of Clayton and drive for a short while into SW NC and if this were to not change (can't count on that at all), I don't think you'd have to go far to see some accums.

I'm now saying something I probably wouldn't do as I'm a nightie, but you could possibly get up early on Saturday, drive to Franklin, have breakfast there, and then start driving home.

The road to Clingmans Dome is closed until March 31st each winter. It was mid 20s with snow that changed to freezing rain there and on LeConte today. You can get above 5000 feet on 441 but it's often closed. Often with their nw flow, clipper type systems dump 6-12+ on LeConte.

After 3/1, March is still looking absolutely miserable overall for cold chances as far as models can see with any confidence. (Practically) all of the snow prospects are for the last days of Feb. March 1st does look like it will be the last full cold day of the upcoming cold. After that and a cool morning of March 2, there is no real cold in sight (ignoring late in cold biased GFS runs). And that's without adjusting for the cold bias of all of the models. They actually look warm at face value, which is something we've not seen much.

The warm W Pacific waters are relentless in their warm control. If we're going to have much of a chance for a N or BN winter in the near future, I think those waters are going to need to cool in relation to their surroundings.

Last edited:

I'll be in Clayton for work Wednesday- Saturday, but I'll have some free time in between. I haven't seen snow yet this winter so maybe this might be my chance. I've seen pic of Clayton very beautiful place and beautiful mountains. Snow chances are looking good while I'm there.

In Feb 97 in High Point NC, I experienced an odd snow phenomena similiar to what's been described. It started raining out of nowhere one early night, but then changed over to snow. Then I heard what sounded like thunder, but I wasn't sure. Then 2 minutes later I saw the flash, and really knew it was THUNDERSNOW.

It snowed for 30 minutes, and ended around 2'' in that time. It reminded me of a spring/summer storm, except....snowing in winter.

God, it was awesome.

After 3/1, March is still looking absolutely miserable overall for cold chances as far as models can see with any confidence. (Practically) all of the snow prospects are for the last days of Feb. March 1st does look like it will be the last full cold day of the upcoming cold. After that and a cool morning of March 2, there is no real cold in sight (ignoring late in cold biased GFS runs). And that's without adjusting for the cold bias of all of the models. They actually look warm at face value, which is something we've not seen much.

The warm W Pacific waters are relentless in their warm control. If we're going to have much of a chance for a N or BN winter in the near future, I think those waters are going to need to cool in relation to their surroundings.

yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last big cold snap this week

gonna go down as one of the warmest winters here ever... been several of those lately...

Lol the GEPS basically says after next Monday winter is over, not a single freeze on it after next Monday

yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last big cold snap this week

gonna go down as one of the warmest winters here ever... been several of those lately...

At KATL, 2019-20 will end up nearly +5., which is actually nearly 1 warmer than last year's warm winter. However, that is still not nearly as warm as 2016-7's +7 and nowhere near the warmest on record, 1889-90's +9!

Unfortunately for winter lovers, another winter like 1889-90 is very much a possibility in the near future thanks to the combo of GW and the warmest waters being in the W Pacific thus causing many days in MJO 4 and 5. That kind of winter would be a whopping 4 warmer than this one and would make this one seem like a very cold one in relation. Folks in the SE might as well get used to warm winters being quite common because they're likely here to stay for a long time imo.

Last edited:
At KATL, 2019-20 will end up nearly +5., which is actually nearly 1 warmer than last year's warm winter. However, that is still not nearly as warm as 2016-7's +7 and nowhere near the warmest on record, 1889-90's +9!

Unfortunately for winter lovers, another winter like 1889-90 is very much a possibility in the near future thanks to the combo of GW and the warmest waters being in the W Pacific thus causing many days in MJO 4 and 5. That kind of winter, which is a whopping 4 warmer than this one and would make this one seem like a very cold one in relation. Folks in the SE might as well get used to warm winters being quite common because they're likely here to stay for a long time imo.
Interesting, looked up the data for 1889-90 in CHA.. the coldest was 25 for the met winter, and went down to 15 in early March 1890.

Back