• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

Went to edit my last post but saw it had already been edited by our faithful mods! Strong work.

Looks like we may have a shot at something after all per the GFS. Seemed like a third wave of energy snuck in there. Will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FFC referencing a slight chance in my grid forecast. Surprised to see the “s” word from them this far out.

0F21566E-7697-4F63-B666-119E469C8D05.jpeg

The models look absolutely miserable for cold prospects. However, the good news is that that ultimately may be what prevents the Corona virus from hitting too many folks in the SE as viruses typically thrive on cold, dry wx. So, whereas I still strongly prefer a cold March. I'm starting to see the bright side of it not being cold as health is more important.

Let me concur although I made it clear well early on. Give me some 60s and 70s and slow down the endless rounds of rains some. It appears we might get the former, the latter...well at least one model type said nah so that's not fun.

To make this more serious, maybe we'll be home free on our home blueberry bushes if we don't go below 27 during the next cold wave.

I know, down deeper in the south, 60s and 70s in my area and up to Atlanta can mean 80s in some occasions down in Savannah, Valdosta, (to reference a poster we've seen occasionally), plus other areas in South Georgia, and heck, with Gainesville, there was one case where it was in the 50s at home because of what seemed to be a persistent CAD but near 90 there and I had experienced, and that sucks, so I do feel some empathy there, especially when I experienced it in one case and had sweat pouring all over me from head to toe (as I had on pants for the 50s or lower at home because we were on the way there).

Let me concur although I made it clear well early on. Give me some 60s and 70s and slow down the endless rounds of rains some. It appears we might get the former, the latter...well at least one model type said nah so that's not fun.

To make this more serious, maybe we'll be home free on our home blueberry bushes if we don't go below 27 during the next cold wave.

I know, down deeper in the south, 60s and 70s in my area and up to Atlanta can mean 80s in some occasions down in Savannah, Valdosta, (to reference a poster we've seen occasionally), plus other areas in South Georgia, and heck, with Gainesville, there was one case where it was in the 50s at home because of what seemed to be a persistent CAD but near 90 there and I had experienced, and that sucks, so I do feel some empathy there, especially when I experienced it in one case and had sweat pouring all over me from head to toe (as I had on pants for the 50s or lower at home because we were on the way there).
God I'm sick of this rain. This wet pattern can't last forever, right?

Imho I think as far as the upstate goes, we are done for winter weather. It's going to be cold here and there, but in about 3 weeks that's going to be few and far between. It's time to gear up for spring now and thunderstorms

RAH continues to mention the possibility of light frozen precip (snow) for this weekend. They had stated previously that it will be very difficult to get a handle on the features (clipper) until a day or so before the event. Basically we need to get within range of the short range models.

RAH continues to mention the possibility of light frozen precip (snow) for this weekend. They had stated previously that it will be very difficult to get a handle on the features (clipper) until a day or so before the event. Basically we need to get within range of the short range models.

Yeah, Convective stuff will appear nicely on meso models, on globals they simply can’t show that well

Imho I think as far as the upstate goes, we are done for winter weather. It's going to be cold here and there, but in about 3 weeks that's going to be few and far between. It's time to gear up for spring now and thunderstorms

I’m not looking forward to the heat. 90s and 100s

The models look absolutely miserable for cold prospects. However, the good news is that that ultimately may be what prevents the Corona virus from hitting too many folks in the SE as viruses typically thrive on cold, dry wx. So, whereas I still strongly prefer a cold March. I'm starting to see the bright side of it not being cold as health is more important.
May save us all from pages of whining ...

That's what I used to think. But now that I've read the link below, I realize that cold and especially dry air itself may be as much as or even more of the main culprit:

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/fyi-why-winter-flu-season/

So, bring on the warm and humid!

It’s true the cold can limit the protective effects of mucous on capturing and clearing harmful bugs. Ok I’m done I promise. Plus I’m a pain management doc and this is out of my wheelhouse.

You'd think, with the number of events over the years that models didn't get a good handle on until a few days out, we would learn by now. Lol

Euro Saturday, showing some Flake potential.
View attachment 36324

Those soundings over N.C./upstate of SC easily supportive Convective stuff, quite impressive cold pocket aloft owing to very steep lapse rates, perhaps something similar to Feb 16 2013 is possible ? There’s even some weak DCAPE just like that setup which aided in cool pool generation, note those wet bulbs could support snow if you crashed the column 0A073D25-9612-4622-9A7E-32C6D624C5AF.png8673815F-E061-4D26-93E4-3646F0AA89AE.pngFEE705BF-84DA-4829-A168-16652FE8AEB4.png

Last edited:
Back in the early 90's we had a convective thundersnowstorm....it was early March with a lot of sun in the morning and very cold air aloft.....several distinct county sized "storms" formed around lunchtime, it was maybe 40-42 degrees as the storm moved in and you could see the "precip" falling as it moved in, basically a white wall....the edge was rn/sn/graupel mix but once the leading edge was past it was dumping big fat wet flakes the size of golf balls, temps crashed to near freezing.....it even mixed with graupel at the height of the precip.....it quickly covered everything including the roads and a few slushy inches piles up in 30-40 mins....as soon as it was over the sun came out and it was mostly melted in a hr or two....one of the crazier weather experiences I have had.

Those soundings over N.C./upstate of SC easily supportive Convective stuff, quite impressive cold pocket aloft owing to very steep lapse rates, perhaps something similar to Feb 13 2013 is possible ? There’s even some weak DCAPE just like that setup which aided in cool pool generation, note those wet bulbs could support snow if you crashed the column View attachment 36325View attachment 36326View attachment 36327
This would be a good time of the day as if there is any sunshine to destabilize the atmosphere like we saw in 2013. Obviously this is something that we’re really not going to have any true idea about until we’re in 24-36 hours

Back