• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May: gateway to everyone's favorite season

Please
e3d5e2291d7926e5282815435c8e1f1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The hottest I see on your GFS for me is 92 over the whole run. Pretty hot for sure but that doesn’t seem that unusual.

I haven't gotten a good look at things because there's no reason for me to as much anymore but this coming heatwave seems to be mainly Carolinas (okay maybe mainly SC), East Georgia, and Florida based.

In fact I'm just glancing and I'd say that now. I'd actually include Atlanta, but areas northwest of Atlanta and far North Georgia are saved. I have to imagine if we were talking about this this time next month, there'd be nobody that was lucky.

This might honestly shatter some records if it were to come true as it is as it's absolutely unreal (I feel for Phil here):

1558282499738.png

12z isn't as potent but still insane for those areas:

1558282549127.png

I haven't gotten a good look at things because there's no reason for me to as much anymore but this coming heatwave seems to be mainly Carolinas (okay maybe mainly SC), East Georgia, and Florida based.

In fact I'm just glancing and I'd say that now. I'd actually include Atlanta, but areas northwest of Atlanta and far North Georgia are saved. I have to imagine if we were talking about this this time next month, there'd be nobody that was lucky.

This might honestly shatter some records if it were to come true as it is as it's absolutely unreal (I feel for Phil here):

View attachment 19641

12z isn't as potent but still insane for those areas:

View attachment 19642

Keep in mind that the high would in most cases be a couple of degrees hotter than these 18Z numbers. With that being the case, the N 1/3 of FL, GA from ATL-AHN south, most of SC, southern NC, and S AL would be near if not at alltime record highs for May of upper 90s to low 100s if the 12Z GFS were to verify. Hopefully it is showing a slight warm bias here, but it’s almost certainly still going to be very hot, regardless. Even middle 90s in May are much warmer than normal.
Also, that map is just for 5/25. 5/26 and 5/27 are also very hot on this run with some places being even hotter.

To allude what GaWx just stated... it's supposed to be even more brutal towards Monday/Tuesday of next week.
The EURO, verbatim from earlier was absolutely scorch city ... I mean insane heat.

Charleston's May All Time High is 100.
the All Time record high is 105 (8/1/99).
It's also been quite a few years since Charleston officially recorded a 100 degree reading.

It's the worse setup because of a strong upper ridge closing off with fairly robust WNW downpipe which will lend credence to the sea breeze being pinned to the coast for most of the day during this stretch.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1558258975604.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558258975604.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 34
Latest radar and model trends suggests that low chance of rain tonight / tomorrow may end up being a big fat goose egg.

To allude what GaWx just stated... it's supposed to be even more brutal towards Monday/Tuesday of next week.
The EURO, verbatim from earlier was absolutely scorch city ... I mean insane heat.

The models (EURO included) have hinted at the pattern beginning to break down by mid-next week.

We'll see if that translates to *some* relief from a temperature standpoint.

The models (EURO included) have hinted at the pattern beginning to break down by mid-next week.

We'll see if that can indeed happen. Problem here is that it's been so bone dry here, and just escalates the problem. Efficient heat maker with very little ground moisture to evaporate off.

Hopefully. However, even if so, the “damage” already will have been done by then in terms of an historic long lasting heatwave if the model consensus were to be right. I mean a four or five day intense heatwave like what model consensus is suggesting is more than enough to be amongst the worst, if not THE worst on record, for this time of year.

The 12Z Euro is very hot on Fri 5/24 and downright intolerable 5/25-8 for a good portion of the SE. Needless to say with practically no rain, the drought will be worsening.

What the 12z GFS-FV3 shows for ATL at 18z

5/25 = 96*F
5/26 = 99*F
5/27 = 98*F
5/28 = 96*F

The 12Z Euro is very hot on Fri 5/24 and downright intolerable 5/25-8 for a good portion of the SE. Needless to say with practically no rain, the drought will be worsening.
Turned the sprinklers off today. Will probably have better luck with it going dormant than trying to string it along.

Turned the sprinklers off today. Will probably have better luck with it going dormant than trying to string it along.

I didn’t think of that option. I don’t know if I should do that with St. Augustine grass. I’m currently watering 3 days a week late at night.

I didn’t think of that option. I don’t know if I should do that with St. Augustine grass. I’m currently watering 3 days a week late at night.
Yeah Id be careful with St Augustine. From what I remember it loves water and im not sure if dormancy is an option in summer

Back