• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May: gateway to everyone's favorite season

lol at the 00z GFS and EURO. That's certainly a big change beyond mid-next week.

Maybe it's just a fluke.
Highs looking a lot “ cooler” for Memorial Day weekend, low 90s instead of upper 90s, I’ll take it

The 12z Euro is downright awful unless you love a summertime torch. Widespread mid to upper 90s on Fri 5/24 followed by most of the southeast SE of a line from S MS to Rome to GSP to Greensboro down at least to Orlando getting upper 90s to low 100s most or all days Sat 5/25-Wed 5/29. This would be historic even if the Euro is a few degrees too hot, which is quite possible.
The good news if you can call it that is that the heat reduces starting 5/30 as a weak cold front moves through. Of course, by that time, the damage will have been done.

Last edited:
Euro sucks as bad as the GFS

Going back to 1897, Macon has had zero 100+ days in May. The 12Z Euro says they'll have 4-5 days of 100+ and they haven't hit 99 in May since 1967. So, is the Euro to be believed? There sure has been consistency about this intense heatwave.

Edit: the 12 EPS supports its operational.

Last edited:
Don't look now @SD but there's something showing up on radar, anemic as it may be and CAMs not too excited either..... dang need something today though, this stiff wind is sucking any moisture left right out of the soil.

Some rain earlier. I think being west of the tropical system in the Atlantic will help sinking motion and promote dry air being on the “west side” as it gets a little closer.

OK - On a quick 15 minute recess, so I check my phone ... GFS has gone bonkers down here ...

174 Mon 05/27 18Z 103 ° 104 °
Mon 05/27 21Z 96 ° 103 ° 96 °
180 Tue 05/28 00Z 88 ° 103 °

Back to it ...

Going back to 1897, Macon has had zero 100+ days in May. The 12Z Euro says they'll have 4-5 days of 100+ and they haven't hit 99 in May since 1967. So, is the Euro to be believed? There sure has been consistency about this intense heatwave.

Edit: the 12 EPS supports its operational.
This looks fun, as you’ve been talking about!802A7A0C-657C-4AFB-806A-3887B236A5E3.png

WPC has in their extended discussion noted two things of importance here. The ridge in the SE has been trending stronger and they seem pretty emphatic that upper 90s/low 100s are looking more probable. In fact, this looks like some all time May records are going to fall this weekend into next week.

Don't look now @SD but there's something showing up on radar, anemic as it may be and CAMs not too excited either..... dang need something today though, this stiff wind is sucking any moisture left right out of the soil.
I like the boundary running up US1 right now. That may be a good initiation point over the next few hours for a few storms. Otherwise meh.

In other news the d10 euro
7a1493226d00b0133e63be55282fb3c6.jpg
0ea0e04b2bcb9633bcc454eba44d37cc.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WPC has in their extended discussion noted two things of importance here. The ridge in the SE has been trending stronger and they seem pretty emphatic that upper 90s/low 100s are looking more probable. In fact, this looks like some all time May records are going to fall this weekend into next week.
SER trending stronger. Imagine my shock!

On the plus side maybe this will be a frontloaded Summer. Get the triple digit heat out of the way now so we don’t have to worry about it in July/August.
We hoped last summer was going to be front-loaded only for it to last into October. Although we did get somewhat of a respite in August.

Taking a deeper look at the last several GFS runs through day 16, none of them show a day with a high lower than 89*F at ATL.

This is despite the ridge flattening.

Back