• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Marvelous March

0z Eps takes shape and starts looking Good/ or better starting this Tuesday onward: We should all see a 24 hr torch Sun or Mon, not sure if it will be a dry one. Heres Tuesday from the EPS

1550663686523.png

Last edited:
Looks to be a pretty strong storm signal for a SE storm for the first week in March on the GEFS:
View attachment 16051
Yep with a few big dogs sprinkled in for good measure.... EPS doesn't look bad just not that storm signal like the gefs (yet)

gefs_snow_ens_nc_57.png

Yep with a few big dogs sprinkled in for good measure.... EPS doesn't look bad just not that storm signal like the gefs (yet)

gefs_snow_ens_nc_57.png
Yet another 10 day+ storm. Still, good to see a storm signal. Maybe we can finally reel one in. A few of those are major hits

gefs_snow_ens_nc_57.png

The gefs has been showing a storm signal for the last two months . It needs to be fixed , it clearly has a cold snowy bias

With that said , there are a few members in there that I’d loan the wife out for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gefs has been showing a storm signal for the last two months . It needs to be fixed , it clearly has a cold snowy bias

With that said , there are a few members in there that I’d loan the wife out for

Stick to sodomizing pigs (no not really). EPS also has some solid members for NGa. I think it’s huge that both ensembles are sniffing it out. Truthfully the GEFS may sniff out legit threats but it can’t navigate teleconnections.

During pattern watching I normally just lurk, but here are my two cents.

First step: GET A +PNA
If we cant manage that then forget any chances of snow into March.

4indices.png

The good news is that we have a solid signal of atleast a weak +PNA event.

The flip from -pna to + is only 5-7 days out so this isn't in la la land.

here is the EURO progression from -PNA to +PNA.

ecmwf_z500a_us_fh144-192.gif

For now we want to MAKE SURE that this +PNA is actually going to happen. I would lock it in before even considering a winter storm for us.

The good news is the +PNA signal on models is fairly strong. EPS is trending stronger as well as the EURO.

For me I want to verify this pattern change before looking at storms. We all know how crazy models get during big time flips like this.

I'm not extremely pumped up about this flip but hey its better than no chance at all.

gefs_snow_ens_nc_57.png

Wow, great mean and five big dogs in there for NC. Looks like it's mostly the big dogs or nothing, though.

GFS and GEFS look good. And seems the Euro is trying to get there.

The GFS and Euro are in fairly good alignment for once about the MJO. Neither one now ties it up in P8 and both propagate it into P1-3. We're seeing a good response in the atmosphere also.

GFS.gif
ECM.gif

Here is the 240 hr EPS and GEFS mean H5. You can see that both are in very good agreement with the overall pattern. Nice Omega block out west. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think that type of configuration is a fairly stable configuration. So hopefully, this one will last at least a little while.

You can see the big AK block with troughing in the central and eastern US and the STJ undercutting. Still going to be quite active, with plenty of rain. But now, we have growing confidence in what appears to be one last legitimate window for a big winter storm in the SE.

EPS.png
GEFS.png

The daily SOI is ~ -30. So, we're still seeing big drops there. The typhoon is also still a question mark. Some of the EPS members recurve it (more do not). All of the GEFS do. The GEFS progs for the AO and NAO are generally positive longer term and the PNA varies + to - to +. The EPO looks strongly negative.

I still think the time frame just beyond D10 holds the best window for a storm. I don't think there's a lot of accuracy with with predictions beyond 7 days, really, but we have pretty good agreement, at least right now, about the overall evolution of the pattern into one that could support a real storm. By D10, we should be there. Fingers crossed....

The GFS and Euro are in fairly good alignment for once about the MJO. Neither one now ties it up in P8 and both propagate it into P1-3. We're seeing a good response in the atmosphere also.

View attachment 16055
View attachment 16056

Here is the 240 hr EPS and GEFS mean H5. You can see that both are in very good agreement with the overall pattern. Nice Omega block out west. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think that type of configuration is a fairly stable configuration. So hopefully, this one will last at least a little while.

You can see the big AK block with troughing in the central and eastern US and the STJ undercutting. Still going to be quite active, with plenty of rain. But now, we have growing confidence in what appears to be one last legitimate window for a big winter storm in the SE.

View attachment 16058
View attachment 16059

The daily SOI is ~ -30. So, we're still seeing big drops there. The typhoon is also still a question mark. Some of the EPS members recurve it (more do not). All of the GEFS do. The GEFS progs for the AO and NAO are generally positive longer term and the PNA varies + to - to +. The EPO looks strongly negative.

I still think the time frame just beyond D10 holds the best window for a storm. I don't think there's a lot of accuracy with with predictions beyond 7 days, really, but we have pretty good agreement, at least right now, about the overall evolution of the pattern into one that could support a real storm. By D10, we should be there. Fingers crossed....

Great post.

IMO this really is a great time to get a winter pattern. It takes perfection like always but the increased sun angle can actually really juice up some of these storms on top of the fact we have some spring time forcing in the mix as well.

A lot of our big storms have happened late in the season. The problem is the cold source. We will have plenty of rain and moisture.

Too me this +PNA ridge that will form won’t be very long lasting but even 7-10 days of decent west coast ridge and east coast trough can give us 2-3 legit storms to consider.

For now we just have to wait it out. Models are focusing in on the beginning of our pattern change but the meat of the pattern is still off in la la land.

Honestly this is not a bad look at all. Maybe one of the most promising patterns since the early December setup for the southeast. Just have to get it to verify.

View attachment 16055
View attachment 16056

View attachment 16058
View attachment 16059

Great points. And as far as “stable” goes I believe a -EPO has as much staying power as. +EPO. AK ridge is a must if we want results

Holy Moses, 1060+ mb high SW Canada 12Z GFS moving south hour 222. But will SE get much of this or will it mostly slide to our north? Will know soon. May stay north. Tough to get cold down into the SE these days.

Just to reiterate GFS past day 6 or so is basically useless. 30 degree+ difference o_Ogfs_T2m_seus_fh204_trend.gif

Holy Moses, 1060+ mb high SW Canada 12Z GFS moving south hour 222. But will SE get much of this or will it mostly slide to our north? Will know soon. May stay north. Tough to get cold down into the SE these days.
FV also has a high dropping down, 1043

Here is my take based on observations. Last nights event and a previous small event has turned much snowier for western NC compared to previous icing systems. I believe the ice pattern has finally eased up to a snowier pattern into March. But this new pattern will battle some moisture issues during times of CAD. No change to my late winter outlook. I expect no big dogs over 6” but a more pronounced snow vs rain setup could put more areas in play instead of the usual ice cad only crap.

Looking at the ensembles I could see the Raleigh/Greensboro camp being included with some snow mix for March. With an increasingly more snow potential further north and west. I don’t however like the Charlotte to Atlanta corridor in this new pattern...I think it’s going to favor the northern corridor so to speak but with some eastward potential.

Back