• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe March 2-4 Severe weather Threat

Speaking of the 3km NAM, it has some insane SRH for the RDU area as the line approaches. If it bumps up temps into the 60s like other models have it could get a little rough.
1551453619468.png

Are those supercells in the upstate ? Geez, you can already see the curly Qs on them

The SRH and instability the 3km is depicting is sufficient for some pretty nasty weather. Looks like SBCAPE in the range of 1,000-1,500 and SRH 300-600 depending on the area. I haven't looked at it too closely yet but it definitely is concerning at a quick glance.

Are those supercells in the upstate ? Geez, you can already see the curly Qs on them

I'm assuming with that track, they are right around the best shear etc. Not that they will actually fire out in front.. my local office is talking about clouds, but severe maybe with 850 winds.. Really just a wait and see for the warm front and to see the final track (that the icon even shunted further over towards the 00z GFS).

Speaking of the 3km NAM, it has some insane SRH for the RDU area as the line approaches. If it bumps up temps into the 60s like other models have it could get a little rough.
View attachment 17025
There's some junk in front, but look @ these cells showing up on the 3KM NAM (12z):

View attachment 17026
Then a couple frames later, it goes:

View attachment 17028

View attachment 17029

Haven't really paid this much attention, but this looks like it definitely needs to be watched from LA to NC. That is an impressive line of storms showing up.

Haven't really paid this much attention, but this looks like it definitely needs to be watched from LA to NC. That is an impressive line of storms showing up.

Outside the tor threat being possible, I'm growing increasingly concerned about those stronger 850mb winds aloft mixing down/gusting to the surface. It can catch a lot of people off guard not expecting much. A few weeks ago, we had an event like that, and everyone on social media around here was like "omg is this a tornado? what is this? what is going on?". lol

Knocked my power out and did some damage around, and that was just pure wind in heavier showers.. not even sure we had thunder.

Euro held serve with warm front getting to about I-20 with high cape values. Morning convection/junk looks like the biggest possible caveat for severe.

Euro held serve with warm front getting to about I-20 with high cape values. Morning convection/junk looks like the biggest possible caveat for severe.

We'd better hope that holds things down or else it could get really nasty. The 3km is showing SRH values of 300-700 along the boundary.

Lots of crapvection with this initially, maybe they can produce a few boundaries to aid but that’s a decent amount of crapvection which would develop CIN-convective inhibitation and May cause storms to struggle a bit later CF42AC73-0988-42D5-99DB-848FEB093893.pngthis is the best time right here for supercells to at least try to dominate before they become much more linear in nature, best instability/shear for them at this time based off the NAM 3km but there is limiting factors like poor lapse rates, lack of a elevated mixed layer/CAP combo which means convection will merge quick and try to grow into a line, and showers limiting instability out ahead of these storms a bit DEE287FF-BAED-4C27-9F2A-A15CA09FA44C.jpeg

Back