• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe March 2-4 Severe weather Threat

This is the NAM) I’d say so far atm lapses are pretty limiting along with a skinny CAPE sounding, that hodo is similar to last setups tho and strong shear/SRH, also that’s a pretty moist column, drying doesn’t occur until your near 500mb, this screams low cloud bases, anyways even with limiting low level lapses, 3CAPE is decent E9D620FF-42B7-4528-9113-B4AE026F28CC.png

18z NAM has over 1000 j/kg cape values over S central MS into C AL Sunday afternoon. 0-1km SRH over 250 m2/s2 over AL...
STP increasing Sunday afternoon from previous runs.NEXLABdpdt-18Z-20190303_NAMSE_con_stp-10-100.gif
Also low level jet ramping up over AL/MS compared to 6z/12z valid 18z Sunday.
NEXLABdpdt-18Z-20190303_NAMSE_850_spd-20-200.gif

18z NAM has over 1000 j/kg cape values over S central MS into C AL Sunday afternoon. 0-1km SRH over 250 m2/s2 over AL...
STP increasing Sunday afternoon from previous runs.View attachment 16940
View attachment 16939

What has me worried is short range guidance is probably gonna perk up instability more since they can detect more mesoscale/local stuff and boundaries and have way better resolution than globals

STP increasing Sunday afternoon from previous runs.View attachment 16940
View attachment 16939

This sounding is near Birmingham Sunday after noon. SRH over 400, you have to be kidding me. The 18z NAM is also showing a more substantial EML building into southern AL than before. If that continues with this type of low amp wave, it's just gonna get nasty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 39
Three things that could stop an outbreak.

1: too much junk convection slows warm front progression and instability stays too low.

2: Lack of EML contributes to #1 and poos laspe rates. Strong shear tears apart updrafts until front with wind being main threat.

3: SSW surface winds limit convergence and delay cell initiation. This allows upper level winds become parallel with the front and we end up with a squall line on the front.

Three things that could stop an outbreak.

1: too much junk convection slows warm front progression and instability stays too low.

2: Lack of EML contributes to #1 and poos laspe rates. Strong shear tears apart updrafts until front with wind being main threat.

3: SSW surface winds limit convergence and delay cell initiation. This allows upper level winds become parallel with the front and we end up with a squall line on the front.
Chances of any 1 happening????

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Always does seem to be one thing that prevents everything from coming together for a system to reach its full potential. Most of the time it seem's a bunch of junk convection in the morning last longer than normal and doesn't allow for the atmosphere to destabilize. The warm front also doesn't make it as for north as the models had anticipated.

Last two events that were big in GA were 3/19/18 and 4/5/17. Both times saw the warm front really struggle to make it above the city. I will probably be monitoring that the closest from here on out. The GFS and ICON keep ATL around 55 most of the day, which would mean low chances.

Always does seem to be one thing that prevents everything from coming together for a system to reach its full potential. Most of the time it seem's a bunch of junk convection in the morning last longer than normal and doesn't allow for the atmosphere to destabilize. The warm front also doesn't make it as for north as the models had anticipated.

There also seems to be a proverbial wall for severe weather and especially tornadoes that literally hugs the Alabama-Georgia state line (minus a few exceptions), which is probably explained by the presence of the Apps. 95%+ of the time GA gets sloppy seconds from Alabama and typically those storms already grew upscale or evolved into linear slop.

Last two events that were big in GA were 3/19/18 and 4/5/17. Both times saw the warm front really struggle to make it above the city. I will probably be monitoring that the closest from here on out. The GFS and ICON keep ATL around 55 most of the day, which would mean low chances.
NWS has ATL at 63 Sunday. I’m all for 55 though.

Back