• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

Lots of potential for this system, but do we know of any bust factors? Will crapvection suppress potential?
Possibly, with a double barrel jet means lots of forcing for ascent, but one thing I’m seeing that is truly concerning is that models show good surface insolation, with lapse rates up to 7C in some spots, most of these setups lack steep low level lapse rates

I hope CAD saves NC from the worst of the severe weather, sorry @Myfrotho704_ but I don't want an April 2011 over here lol.

Yeah I agree I’m hoping upstate sc NE Ga and NC dodges the worse of it. I’ll say I am interested in severe weather but interested and liking it is two different things. I dislike it but I’m very much interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more we slow down however higher chance of some CAD

Yeah. but CLT is a borderline when it comes to wedges regardless. This is somewhat concerning given our history of wedge tornadoes. Something tells me this will probably end up being our first legit storm threat of spring. I also have this eerie feeling that the wedge won't save us this go around.

Geez. For our area the wedge boundary/tmb is going be problematic especially as we likely attempt to really back sfc winds
I cannot remember which event, but I recall that while SFC Observations showed NE winds with the Wedge, there were observations made at both the Tops Of Stone Mountain (850 ft) and Mount Currahee (Toccoa, 1000 ft) from the SE while upper levels were SW with the jet. Temps and DP were some 10-15 degrees higher also The "ft" I listed is height above surrounding terrain . It shows how shallow wedges are, and the degree of shear. This could very well explain why we sometimes get cells that rapidly turn violent when running into the retreating wedges in NE GA. Also, just got me to thinking... if parcels from just above the surface are heated, while the true "surface" does not, what impact would those rising "near surface" parcels have toward surface based CAPE, etc.

Back