• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

In scenarios like this where dry air is involved on the backside of a tropical system (and being enhanced by upper air forcing) it's been my experience that winds aloft mix down in gusts VERY effectively. The depictions by the HRRR of winds gusting 65-85mph over a good chunk of NC in this backside band are quite realistic. I expect quite a few areas will see hurricane force gusts in NC or close to them. This is going to be a lot worse than people are prepared for. I let my sister in Raleigh know about it and she had no clue since the locals there have been downplaying it so much.

Schools are closing South of 85 already! Greenwood and Lauren’s Atleast
John C says there’s never been a tropical storm warning in those areas. I’m on the southern edge of Greenville county so I might get a couple notable gusts in the morning!

@Tarheel1 we’re literally In a weather screw zone. Too far south of I85 for good snow and not far enough south for a good tropical rain storm. SMH!

I’m gonna go ahead and air this out. Global models did a sh** job with Michael and a sh** job with Florence as far as pressure and strength go. It’s almost like we shouldn’t start paying attention unless models are showing a mid grade Hurricane a few days out

Schools are closing South of 85 already! Greenwood and Lauren’s Atleast
I think Greenville county will also close. If I were a betting man. Someone mentiononed the tropical storm warnings expanding. Do you think they will include northern counties in upstate SC?

I think Greenville county will also close. If I were a betting man. Someone mentiononed the tropical storm warnings expanding. Do you think they will include northern counties in upstate SC?
They always say they can’t run busses with sustained 30mph or gusts to 40mph. It’s a real fine line! Something else to think about is, the worst of the storm will hit between 4-9AM!

Models are showing only an inch of rain now! Busted FFW, in my opinion! And MBY

Back