• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

nam_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_28.png
And to start 18z run, nam is much further west than 12z

Check this 12Z GFS vs 12Z UKMET comparison through hour 12 or 8 PM EDT this evening:

- hour 0 (8 AM EDT): 12Z GFS at 18.7N, 87.0W. 12Z UKMET is then placed at 18.7N, 86.7W (pretty similar).
- hour 6 (2 PM EDT): 12Z GFS 19.4N, 85.6W. So, GFS shifted ENE to near this 2nd stronger center that the recon found. No UKMET hour 6 available.
- **hour 12 (8 PM EDT): 12Z GFS 20.0N, 86.2W. So, the GFS shifts him back NW as of 8 PM. Compare this to the 8PM EDT 12Z UKMET position of 19.5N, 85.6W, which is due north of the recon's stronger low. This is why I think advantage shifting to UKMET.

So, it would be great if there is a recon position at 8 PM!!

Possible major development: per what I've been seeing with recon, there apparently is a stronger center (~1000 mb) a whopping full degree EAST of the NHC track as well as the non UKMET 12Z model consensus. This is actually very close to where the 12Z UKMET, which is about a full degree east of all of the other major models at 12Z, has it as of 8 PM EDT this evening. Advantage may be going to the 12Z UKMET very shortly here.
Yep. 999mb at the new center. Winds in the bands on the east side are quite strong too, maybe up to 50 or 60 mph. I would say 50 at 5 pm.

18z icon is little further west at landfall. So far 18z suits with Nam and icon is little west from 12z

How large is this compared to Florence? One reason Flo was so bad is because of the size, which meant a lot.of rain.

just throwing this out there as well......center relocations are very likely when these systems first get going. Does it have an effect on long term motion....sometimes. So, lets see what recon shows on this next pass. I think we finally have a good center to start tracking and the 00z model runs should have a better handle. I think those runs will definitely have a better handle on tracks...and trends...either west or east...

18z GFS is a little faster than 12z and slower at strengthening, seems as if it's going to be a slightly different solution.

Edit: Actually now seems like there's just minimal differences now.

18z GFS is a little faster than 12z and slower at strengthening, seems as if it's going to be a slightly different solution.

Edit: Actually now seems like there's just minimal differences now.

At hour 30, the 18Z GFS is at 22.5N, 86.4W vs the 12Z GFS 36 hour of 23.1N, 86.1W. So, the 18Z GFS so far is SSW of the 12Z GFS position.

A019195B-2A0A-452F-B845-F24BA772F7F3.png Dryslotted! Winning! :(

Back