• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

Not sure how long it's going to be after Irma before we see this kind of widespread warnings over a tropical system...I'll be happy when this is over.

Looks like recon is about to punch through the center again shortly.

Looks like recon is about to punch through the center again shortly.
The NWS hourly forecast don't even have us at tropical sustained winds for the event yet we are under a warning ??? Lol anyways, I haven't checked the latest data but has it backed off on the winds delta.. for instance, last night/ early this morning we were at 42 with 60 gusts now 37 and 52 gusts

Probably been asked but with power and internet in and out, looking back is hard - would rather read forward while I can
Quick question - just looked at radar for the 1st time in an hour; looks like the eye is collapsing - am I seeing that right; what's up?

The NWS hourly forecast don't even have us at tropical sustained winds for the event yet we are under a warning ??? Lol anyways, I haven't checked the latest data but has it backed off on the winds delta.. for instance, last night/ early this morning we were at 42 with 60 gusts now 37 and 52 gusts
GFS is a little less this morning, but still strong TS force gusts for sure. to be fair though, the GFS has always been lower than the euro. EURO wasn't any different last night. we will see on the new run.

The NWS hourly forecast don't even have us at tropical sustained winds for the event yet we are under a warning ??? Lol anyways, I haven't checked the latest data but has it backed off on the winds delta
For
GFS is a little less this morning, but still strong TS force gusts for sure. to be fair though, the GFS has always been lower than the euro. EURO wasn't any different last night. we will see on the new run.
wasnt it the 6z gfs I heard was stronger.. then 12z backed off?

Probably been asked but with power and internet in and out, looking back is hard - would rather read forward while I can
Quick question - just looked at radar for the 1st time in an hour; looks like the eye is collapsing - am I seeing that right; what's up?
Yes Phil, the eye has been looking fairly ragged most of the morning. But the max sustained winds are sticking at 130, so doesn't appear to have an impact yet.

vis-animated.gif
Almost like she could parallel up the coast

I dare say this is the best she has looked all morning. (outside of the keys landfall obviously). The southern eye wall according to radar is actually trying to close off. oh, and that WV loop I posted before, you can still see the tilting I was talking about before and that the western quad is actually not as restricted.

Huge shout out to Shawn for developing the southernwx.com/Irma page for us. It's been my quick reference for everything during this storm. Thanks Shawn!! :)

No problem! I could have put more there, but such short notice it was hard for me to find sources that automatically updated without me having to manually change stuff!

And this satellite/track scares me. I'd be sweating if I were in Tampa right now.

I dare say this is the best she has looked all morning. (outside of the keys landfall obviously). The southern eye wall according to radar is actually trying to close off. oh, and that WV loop I posted before, you can still see the tilting I was talking about before and that the western quad is actually not as restricted.
Does appear looking at the WV loop dry being burped out...plus this the area I mentioned if she were to make another run would be near this area

Back