• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

I was working nightshift at Browns Ferry and driving back to Killen at 3:00 am when I got I had one blow in Elgin Cross Roads...scary how bright the flash is when they go.
Any time it's breezy and tree limb brush up against utility components, transformers can blow. And they do have a brilliant bluish flash when they blow.

Highest wind gust so far anyone? The software that I use, the highest I have saw so far is 89 mph. I would have thought there would be some higher ones as of now.

ETA: Seeing the winds pick up on the western side of the eyewall. 94 mph wind gust. I haven't seen any reports from the eastern eyewall.

Last edited:
Irma looks like she is pulling in some dry air. I see no concentric eye wall anywhere near her other one, and the mainline is still going strong except the southern end. Meanwhile, pressure is up 2 mb in the latest pass, and here is the NW eye wall drop. Not good for winds not far up.
recon_AF306-3011A-IRMA_dropsonde2_20170910-1157.png

Does anyone have a map of potential power outages from Irma? Trying to get family members up in N AL to take this serious. Saw a lady at walmart yesterday buying six 5 gallon gas cans and 5 cases of water...

She might have been from Florida. Some are buying to take back home. Probably easier to find here then in Florida.

She might have been from Florida. Some are buying to take back home. Probably easier to find here then in Florida.
Well, the local news here is saying be prepared for Irma almost the same way as I remember preparing for a tropical storm in Florida, which is just crazy. I have seen many from Florida up here already, but I don't seem to see many people up here doing that much, unless they are the ones buying the water.

Well, the local news here is saying be prepared for Irma almost the same way as I remember preparing for a tropical storm in Florida, which is just crazy. I have seen many from Florida up here already, but I don't seem to see many people up here doing that much, unless they are the ones buying the water.
My concern for this area is tornadoes with the westerly shift of the cone.

Must be a bad graphic every thing South of Atlanta is in a TS warning. The counties in South Georgia that are not included are under a hurricane warning
8bd7afdb4e99862fa4750c2660e421e2.jpg

Basically the only prep I will be doing is bringing in items from the yard that can be blown. I do not need to add to flying debris if it gets windy. I would also hate to lose them. I will do that later today if forecast still calls for a windy forecast in my area. I go back to work tomorrow.

Im confused about why there is a gap in between the areas under a TS Warning in GA. Atlanta is under a TS Warning, then further south there are a couple rows of counties not under a warning or watch, including where Tony lives. Then south of there, there is once again a TS Warning for Macon and Columbus. Does anyone know why ?

Must be a bad graphic every thing South of Atlanta is in a TS warning. The counties in South Georgia that are not included are under a hurricane warning
8bd7afdb4e99862fa4750c2660e421e2.jpg
i type in griffin, ga on weather.gov and it shows nothing. Does it do the same for you ?

Basically the only prep I will be doing is bringing in items from the yard that can be blown. I do not need to add to flying debris if it gets windy. I would also hate to lose them. I will do that later today if forecast still calls has a windy forecast since I go back to work tomorrow.
Trimmed a tree yesterday and brought in loose items as well. If Irma decides to throw hurricane force gusts up here we are ready.

I'm just interested in seeing if Irma comes into the bend a little stronger than advertised. Do any of you think it's possible she comes in higher than Cat 1 in that area?

Shear is starting to increase as well. Looking rough this AM. I bet it's a Cat 3 at landfall

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

To be fair the US has never had two Cat 4 landfalls in a season from the Atlantic

so why start now lmao

Back