• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

This seems like some major bust potential one way or another
Obviously they are the experts on this and they do a great job. That said it is suprising to see all of the globals in such agreement within 36 hours and it seeming like the NHC is pretty much dismissing them. I always say it’s hard to bet against the EURO, so we will see if that holds true here.

At 00Z, the NHC track lies on the western edge. Regardless, this suite is still through western Ga.
View attachment 151879

And it inches closer… Not gonna change much for here, but seeing that low pressure would be pretty cool.

Obviously the NHC is leaning on the models above and the Canadian Ensembles.

1727313430462.png

Currently sitting at 3.67 inches back home. In St. Thomas right now and wondering if we will be able to get back to Atlanta tomorrow evening. It has been calm seas the whole time we have been here since last Friday. Today was the first day of choppy rough seas and windy conditions. The ocean water is definitely like bathtub water. Praying for the best for everyone.

Latest 00z intensity guidence down a lot barely any cat 3's

View attachment 151887

Probably one of the reasons is the size. I wondered earlier if the dry air entrainment into the core would form a large eye and looking at IR, that is probably what is happening. Wont make it impossible to go nuts, but definitely harder. While it may spare the coast, the wind field is gonna grow even more.

Edit: Would also make it harder for dry air to penetrate in the future as well.

Probably one of the reasons is the size. I wondered earlier if the dry air entrainment into the core would form a large eye and looking at IR, that is probably what is happening. Wont make it impossible to go nuts, but definitely harder. While it may spare the coast, the wind field is gonna grow even more.

Edit: Would also make it harder for dry air to penetrate in the future as well.

Yeah that plus it's going to be coming ashore in roughly 24 hrs just doesn't give it time...if it can somehow form a smaller core then maybe it can really bomb out but as it stands it's just to big to spin up fast...the upside is chances of 75 plus winds deep inland go down but like you said the overall area of 50-75 is going to be huge especially on the east side.

We’re kind of in that range where @Rain Cold tells us to cut modeled wind gusts and rain totals in half but I don’t see him doing that yet. Paging @Rain Cold we need you like we haven’t needed you in a long time
Slash 'em.

I guess we'll have to see how strong it actually is able to get prior to landfall. I'm thinking Cat 2 maybe Cat 3. Inland up to ATL will be gusty. Im not sold on 80+ mph gusts all the way up there, though. I suppose some spots in western SC could gust info the 50s or 60s, but I wouldn't count on the scary wind maps being right.

Last edited:
Back