• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Tweets

1. Joe Bastardi‏Verified account @BigJoeBastardi 1m1 minute ago
    GFS model bias is to break ridge down too much, Very warm SST plus model bias has always been mainstay of ideas here since a week ago today.

What I always thought too, but no deny the Bermuda ridge has been trending weaker the past few runs on the GFS and I think it's because of the upper low in the east atlantic has been getting stronger. The SE Canada ridge has been trending stronger on the GFS so it's not climbing north. We better hope the GFS is correct about the Bermuda ridge breaking down.

CMC never really strengthens Florence, lowest pressure I see is 979.

gem_mslpa_us_22.png

What I always thought too, but no deny the Bermuda ridge has been trending weaker the past few runs on the GFS and I think it's because of the upper low in the east atlantic has been getting stronger. The SE Canada ridge has been trending stronger on the GFS so it's not climbing north. We better hope the GFS is correct about the Bermuda ridge breaking down.

I think it’s too expansive with Florence at 500mb which gives it a northern bias. It was too far north with Jebi for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFS gets flo all the way down to 908mb as it rotates just east of the OBX for days on end. I know waters near the OBX are extremely warm right now but damn

GFS gets flo all the way down to 908mb as it rotates just east of the OBX for days on end. I know waters near the OBX are extremely warm right now but damn

GFS is not ocean coupled and what it shows would not happen. Dry air from land and upwelling wouldn’t allow it to keep strengthening like the GFS shows. I think the GFS is also a bit too far east. Euro tonight is important. As a summary here’s what models have shown tonight so far.
GFS - Slightly east and stalls.
CMC - Basically the same landfall location
ICON - Slightly east
NAM - West and faster
UK - Huge east shift, can it really be trusted at this point? Stalls it offshore by hour 120.

Euro, FV3 and NAVGEM are the 3 other main runs left.

HWRF is slightly east of the 18z, maybe a little east of Wilmington

Edit, into Wilmington again, a little weaker than previous run

hwrf_satIR_06L_21 (1).png

Last edited:
Back