• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

0b479fbb0fe86a4105ef286993e3cdd7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well considering how far south it was, actually matches up very well with Euro and UK now. The GFS on the other hand reminding us that we need to make American models great again.

The GFS could be correct . At this point all options are still in play

GFS is being goofy. Probably too far north, and CMC too far south.

May be the first time I’ve ever seen a model show a cat 4/5 hurricane move SW off the east coast as the GFS depicts. Smh

Why is that hard to believe ? The steering flow collapses and the trough is way back to the west . It could easily stall and meander for a few days

Guys, real quick... why does a delay in intensification lead to a more southerly track? I've always seen that but never understood. I'm assuming it has to do with the counterclockwise spin?

Guys, real quick... why does a delay in intensification lead to a more southerly track? I've always seen that but never understood. I'm assuming it has to do with the counterclockwise spin?

because a weaker storm is more likely to be steered by the westerlies(the usual flow in the Atlantic)

a stronger storm is more likely to feel a weakness and pull north

Last edited:
Why is that hard to believe ? The steering flow collapses and the trough is way back to the west . It could easily stall and meander for a few days

But not a Cat 4/5, sure it could loop but it would be much weaker at that point

But not a Cat 4/5, sure it could loop but it would be much weaker at that point

Yes it would be much weaker at that point because of many things upwelling being a big one . The point I was making was a stalling/ looping solution isn’t that unreasonable given the lack of steering and the fact the trough is way back out west . It’s clearly shown on this gfs run as the trough finally kicks it east a week from Tuesday .

Back