• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Looks like based on those members if it will take the NC or loop route it has to start the NW turn right now. Otherwise if it holds it's West track it's a bullet for the GA/SC border area. Makes sense and should be fun to watch.
For the most part yeah I see that but if you really look at all the members there are still a handful in that southern cluster that strengthen before 70W and get pretty far north.... anyway but yeah "fun" to watch no doubt

The 6z HWRF's evolution of the general intensity & its trends going forward w/ Florence seem fairly reasonable, in line with what I'm (& the NHC) are thinking, Florence probably won't really take off until Sunday night or Monday. Florence completing its eyewall will be the key initial step in kickstarting a significant bout of intensification, and this is bound to take something in the ballpark of 30-36 hours given the dry air its about to ingest, current organization, and how high the shear still is atm (although it's falling as we speak).
hwrf_ref_06L_15.png

Really nothing to add to track thinking as the Eps really tells the story, as you can see the sooner it intensifies the further north the tracks and vice versa...

eps_florence.png

I think you have the EPS from 12z yesterday. Here is the 00z EPS today....
1ce5d12ea82ffc6977df7e8c09dd9347.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a nasty slug of dry stable air wrapping into Florence. You can easily see it on IR to the west and SW of Flo. As Webb stated, it will take a while to get that out and with the shear dying to help sustain what convection there is, Flo may look really bad over the next 24-36hrs. And while unlikely, there is a lot of those ensembles that never strengthen it much and this could be why.

Attachments

• GOES11302018251gOPYq4.jpg
    GOES11302018251gOPYq4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 22
Florence's WSW motion over the last several hours is putting outside or on the outside edge of the GEFS envelope, expect a westward shift in this suite in forthcoming runs. In a situation like this where there's a rebuilding ridge overhead, it's often a good idea to use the GEFS/GFS models to denote the eastern edge of the envelope of legitimate solutions because this model will almost always (& already has) trend(ed) SW. Given that this eastern edge is already near or over Hatteras, certainly leaves a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach wrt the chances Florence hits the SE US coast.
AL06_2018090806_GEFS_large.png

For the sake of prosperity of mentioning every model guidance out there, 6z NAVGEM looks to be NC bound at the end of it's run at hr. 144.
navgem_mslp_pcpn_eus_24.png

Florence's WSW motion over the last several hours is putting outside or on the outside edge of the GEFS envelope, expect a westward shift in this suite in forthcoming runs. In a situation like this where there's a rebuilding ridge overhead, it's often a good idea to use the GEFS/GFS models to denote the eastern edge of the envelope of legitimate solutions because this model will almost always (& already has) trend(ed) SW. Given that this eastern edge is already near or over Hatteras, certainly leaves a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach wrt the chances Florence hits the SE US coast.

I noticed between the 11pm and 5am advisories Florence has lost some latitude (24.9N to 24.5N).

6z FV3-GFS - It was a SC landfall on the 00z run last night.
EDIT: It stalls/meanders over Eastern NC for at least the next 36hrs after this timeframe.
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_25.png

Trying to catch up from the runs overnight. It looks like most of the models show Flo hitting between Charleston and somewhere in NC. Does that sound right?

TWC’s cone has it off the Carolinas coast at 145 mph winds, early Thursday morning!

Borderline Cat4. Prob downgraded to a Cat3 once half of the eyewall crosses over the coast. My dad told me stories of Hugo. Said they were working in Santee which is well inland. They left for a few days until Hugo pushed through and when they came back he said it was unrecognizable. He couldn’t believe it. These things can do serious damage WELL inland
Yes, the forward speed has a lot to do with that! I mean Hugo made landfall at 135 mph , I believe. CLT and Gastonia has gusts to around 90 mph +

Back