• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

B81A79A1-8D01-42D8-A28A-E0D1C33BC79E.png Jimmy H, look at Johnny C, true weather pimp! The outflow on Flo, looking good!

I’m gonna just drop my guess here: we get 5”+ of rain and 60mph gusts as it hits NFL or GA coast, and goes right over us
I see what you did there. The old “5 day out snowstorm. Buy the milk and bread” approach. I want no part of this. I’m calling for a hit Myrtle Beach or north. I just remember with Mathew things kept changing and changing and I thought I knew where it was going but never even had a clue

View attachment 5946 Jimmy H, look at Johnny C, true weather pimp! The outflow on Flo, looking good!
JC is a beast of a meteorologist. He’s a likeable down to earth figure. He’s the reason I love tracking winter weather. Hard to beat that childhood excitement of turning on the 5 o’clock news and hearing John hype an incoming snowstorm. Good times

If that’s the case, this thing isn’t done going south :(

UK and Euro had Florence really weakening today into tomorrow, the UK starts strengthening tomorrow night into Sunday. Euro doesn't start until Monday. Would be ironic if she never recovered and was just a weak wave.

HWRF keeps it weak for another 24-36 hours and like the UK starts on Sunday getting it going.

9-km ECMWF Global Wave Southwest Atlantic MSLP 36.png

Convection has really been blowing up over the past couple of hours with Florence. She looks a lot better now than she did 12 hrs. ago this morning. She may be prepping to blast off over the next 12+ hrs. You can even see lightning near some of the heaviest concentration of convection.

GOES16_1km_ir_201809080045_20.50_29.00_-59.50_-46.00_ir1_ltng_hgwy_latlon_weathernerds.gif

The convection is off to the NE of the center . It’s not stacked . It’s a hot mess at the moment . Won’t last very long but it’s got some work to do before it takes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can see the shear has increased almost acting to help vent the storm from SW to NE creating the increased convection that’s to the NE of the center

The HWRF is laughable at best guys.. come on.

Not trying to be a debbie downer for the ones who want some low pressure monster floating around out there... but those pressures can't be taken seriously... ensemble members of various modeling have nothing of that low of pressure. In fact, few, if any, ensemble members of more reliable guidance even look like the GFS's pressure estimate.. which so far has been the lowest of the Global suites.

Not trying to be a debbie downer for the ones who want some low pressure monster floating around out there... but those pressures can't be taken seriously... ensemble members of various modeling have nothing of that low of pressure. In fact, few, if any, ensemble members of more reliable guidance even look like the GFS's pressure estimate.. which so far has been the lowest of the Global suites.
It may be laughable but with weather these days nothing suprises me sorry

None of the guidance forecasted the rapid strengthening of Florence to a category 4 in an unfavorable environment and marginal SST’s either though. It’s worth looking at and given the synoptic I wouldn’t be surprised to see a sub 930mb storm. It’s about as perfect as you can get for rapid strengthening and a few ERC’s could greatly expand the eye. We will find out in a few days...

You can see the shear has increased almost acting to help vent the storm from SW to NE creating the increased convection that’s to the NE of the center

I
Latest discussion on the storm is not pretty. Cone is SW again and the forecast calls for major RI and 130 mph on day 4 and 5. My worry is the repeat in 130 mph may end up putting day 5 stronger in the end. The cone aims for NC/SC border now.
gotta get through that shear first

Latest discussion on the storm is not pretty. Cone is SW again and the forecast calls for major RI and 130 mph on day 4 and 5. My worry is the repeat in 130 mph may end up putting day 5 stronger in the end. The cone aims for NC/SC border now.

Not pretty at all.

After 48 hours, the
deep-layer flow becomes easterly near the cyclone, with very little
shear while the system is over very warm waters. This pattern
favors significant intensification, and most of the guidance brings
Florence back to a category 4 hurricane in 4 or 5 days.
The
intensity forecast is very similar to the last one, and is raised
slightly at days 3 and 4 to come into better agreement with the
guidance. It is interesting to note that even with a lower initial
intensity, the guidance is higher than the last cycle, which speaks
to the strength of the signal for intensification in the long range.

The initial motion estimate is 265 degrees at 6 kt. Florence is
expected to continue moving slowly westward for the next 48 hours
under the influence of a weak mid-level ridge over the western
Atlantic. By days 4 and 5, an exceptionally strong blocking ridge
is forecast to develop between Bermuda and the Northeast U.S. and
build westward, keeping Florence on a west-northwestward trajectory
with a notable increase in forward speed by the end of the forecast
period. It feels like a broken record to mention that the overall
guidance envelope keeps shifting southwestward, and the official
forecast is moved in that direction. Unfortunately with such a
large well-defined steering current from the ridge becoming likely,
the extended-range risk to the United States keeps rising, which is
confirmed by the majority of the latest ensemble guidance.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/080251.shtml?

Back