• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

And Gov. Cooper has declared state of emergency already
Did I miss the 18z gefs? Any maps, trends or other analysis would be appreciated. I’m curious if the sw shift continued. Thanks!
b89bfa70b4f35fbf50bbda257b921694.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If I may ask, what has changed in the last 6 hours to make anyone (ABC) think this thing is moving out to sea? Because the 6z Goofus just ran?

18z FV3-GFS , yep definitely further SW and slower. Eastern NC/Outer Banks landfall.
EDIT: Florence continues to move right up along the East Coast before making a right turn between NJ/LI coastlines. (hrs.156 - 204)
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_25.png

12z run
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_26.png

Last edited:
Take it for what it's worth because it's the HWRF, but given Florence's history to even exceed MPI, small size, and environmental conditions it'll encounter over the SW Atlantic, can't rule out the HWRF being onto something here and/or discounting Florence becoming a category 5 hurricane sometime in the next 5-7 days.

hwrf_mslp_wind_06L_41 (1).png
hwrf_satIR_06L_20.png

Take it for what it's worth because it's the HWRF, but given Florence's history to even exceed MPI, small size, and environmental conditions it'll encounter over the SW Atlantic, can't rule out the HWRF being onto something here and/or discounting Florence becoming a category 5 hurricane sometime in the next 5-7 days.

View attachment 5939
View attachment 5938
Don't forget to mention the 225 mph winds at the 850 mb level either! Reminds me of what the HWRF spit out for Irma last year.
hwrf_mslp_uv850_06L_41.png

BF1B8B35-9465-4E4E-9C6C-40B48A7330DC.png Could get wet too!

Looking like Mack and I can watch this one safely from a distance (subject to change) I’ll take my 1.5” rainfall and call it a season. Wake me up when September ends

Convection has really been blowing up over the past couple of hours with Florence. She looks a lot better now than she did 12 hrs. ago this morning. She may be prepping to blast off over the next 12+ hrs. You can even see lightning near some of the heaviest concentration of convection.

GOES16_1km_ir_201809080045_20.50_29.00_-59.50_-46.00_ir1_ltng_hgwy_latlon_weathernerds.gif

Looking like Mack and I can watch this one safely from a distance (subject to change) I’ll take my 1.5” rainfall and call it a season. Wake me up when September ends
I’m gonna just drop my guess here: we get 5”+ of rain and 60mph gusts as it hits NFL or GA coast, and goes right over us

Back