• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

0eaf97b4f8bdb6605a7a96dcbdb4c813b60264f6745153a9523cd11f130c7d37.gif

between 96-120 GFS has Florence accelerating also, just as the Euro.... this is problematic

I'd buy that, while like the chances of Florence hitting the US are anomalous, the chances of a stall afterward is as well. I'd bet it turns NE around the ridge fairly quickly or the stronger ridge plows it far inland.

Imo, if Florence were to strike the US, the most likely target zone that's beginning to emerge given the various consensus aids, NWP trends, and biases seems to point towards an area somewhere between Cape Hatteras, NC and Daytona Beach, FL. The chances of this going out to sea aren't zero yet but they're getting closer to this value as verification approaches.

Canadian has the system quite weak, versus some other guidance fwiw. Might be why it wants it so far South. (partly at least).

It's a concerning trend for our backyards

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see it head south of here, giving our area minimal impacts, when all is said and done. The ridge means business and I’m not sure the models are done catching up to how strong it is likely to be.

Completely agree. The counter is how quickly Florence restrengthens. This is turning into a serious situation where a powerful Cat 3 to 4 hurricane is going to barrel well inland -- versus just scraping the coast -- and wreak a lot of havoc somewhere I fear.
Yep, that’s a good point. Quite complicated and fun to watch how it plays out. Unfortunately, it’s looking more likely that it’s not going to be fun for somebody in about a week’s time.

I'll probably make a run to the store today to just get a few extra groceries (esp water and canned goods) before the seemingly inevitable mad dash probably occurs within the next few days as many probably begin to panic. The memories of storms like Hugo, Fran, et al still resonate with many in the Carolinas and I don't want to be price gouged or w/o necessary goods to survive if the power goes out. Never hurts to be safe rather than sorry & prepare early & often...

I think the ensemble guidance today will probably continue the shift away from the out to sea scenario. It is becoming very unlikely at this point IMO. I feel like the most likely landfall zone -- while anywhere from northern FL to the northern Outer Banks of NC are in play -- is probably Savannah, GA to Morehead City, NC right now but this definitely could be one of those hurricanes where major impacts are felt hundreds of miles inland.
Irma wasn't very nice last year so I don't look forward to any repeats given that there will be less land to cover to get here if it goes for the GA coast. I worry for you NC folks in Raleigh if it heads there given it could have cat 1 strength on its north side if it goes inland near Myrtle Beach.

I'll probably make a run to the store today to just get a few extra groceries (esp water and canned goods) before the seemingly inevitable mad dash probably occurs within the next few days as many probably begin to panic. The memories of storms like Hugo, Fran, et al still resonate with many in the Carolinas and I don't want to be price gouged or w/o necessary goods to survive if the power goes out. Never hurts to be safe rather than sorry & prepare early & often...
Spoken almost as if you were a true Floridian ... ;)

Back