• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

So, we want it to stay a strong cane now in order to curve out to sea, versus weakening now and a greater chance of hitting land and strengthening again before it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, we want it to stay a strong cane now in order to curve out to sea, versus weakening now and a greater chance of hitting land and straightening again before it does.

Exactly. A stronger cane increases the chance of it staying away from NC whereas the rapid weakening we are seeing right now, if it lasts awhile, could allow stronger ridging to build and push this more to the west. The next 36 hours will reveal which scenario is correct.

Exactly. A stronger cane increases the chance of it staying away from NC whereas the rapid weakening we are seeing right now, if it lasts awhile, could allow stronger ridging to build and push this more to the west. The next 36 hours will reveal which scenario is correct.

The shear is supposed to relax by tomorrow or Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barely looks like a hurricane anymore and new estimates have it barely one with only around 80 mph winds.

It's weakening much faster than the GFS indicated which leads me to believe the south/west tracks may have a higher chance of verifying going forward. Already the 12z NAM is coming in south and weaker with Florence and even though it's not a good model to use for the tropics the trends in it can be useful to get an idea for what the other models may do in the short term.

The shear is supposed to relax by tomorrow or Saturday.

Yep probably by tomorrow the shear should let up but this is barely a hurricane now and IMO probably a tropical storm now. Dry air has also penetrated the core and will take some time for Florence to rebuild from the shear and core disruption. A further west track is looking more likely at this time due to this rapid weakening.

Not only that, but with a mega ridge building over the top of it, it could rapidly restrengthen in it's final approach to the eastern U.S. Despite it's ghastly appearance now, Florence could once again blossom into a big-time storm before a potential landfall. Assuming the ridge is as strong as most NWP is currently suggesting, I think the odds are increasing by the hour that Florence is going to make an awfully close pass to the CONUS.
The thing that’s crazy is it made it to a major hurricane within a very hostile environment! It just cruises as weak storm for awhile and doesn’t get picked up, there’s plenty of good environment and of course the Gulf Stream, if it doesn’t recurve!

Not only that, but with a mega ridge building over the top of it, it could rapidly restrengthen in it's final approach to the eastern U.S. Despite it's ghastly appearance now, Florence could once again blossom into a big-time storm before a potential landfall. Assuming the ridge is as strong as most NWP is currently suggesting, I think the odds are increasing by the hour that Florence is going to make an awfully close pass to the CONUS.

The upper level pattern depicted is scary.. basically perfect outflow and absolutely 0 shear on the GFS with a massive anticyclone over Florence.
gfs_shear_atl_25.png

The thing that’s crazy is it made it to a major hurricane within a very hostile environment! It just cruises as weak storm for awhile and doesn’t get picked up, there’s plenty of good environment and of course the Gulf Stream, if it doesn’t recurve!

Makes me think what will happen when she gets into the primo environment.

The upper level pattern depicted is scary.. basically perfect outflow and absolutely 0 shear on the GFS with a massive anticyclone over Florence.
gfs_shear_atl_25.png

Even if it does miss you could have 40ft swells generated just off shore.

Florence is currently under ~30 KT of westerly-southwesterly shear according to both the CIMSS and the GFS vortex averaged skew Ts at initialization and most of this shear is in the mid-levels. You can also see that as Florence's rossby penetration depth becomes shallower due to weakening & asymmetrization of the storm's warm core, a larger proportion of the total integrated steering flow will be comprised of east-southeasterly flow at/below 600 hPa, hence the expected turn to the W or WNW in the next day or two. The evolution of the s/w trough associated w/ Gordon's remnants near the lower MS valley will be crucial to monitor going forward because in order to get stronger flow reversal under the building ridge to its north, a prolonged NW track like Hugo, Isabel, et al vs a broader recurvature, this feature usually needs to be present and in relatively close proximity to the storm. This remnant upper level trough being over the Gulf coast for example while our storm is offshore the SE US is often sufficiently close in instances like this.

gfs_vortex_sounding_06L_2.png

Florence is currently under ~30 KT of westerly-southwesterly shear according to both the CIMSS and the GFS vortex averaged skew Ts at initialization and most of this shear is in the mid-levels. You can also see that as Florence's rossby penetration depth becomes shallower due to weakening & asymmetrization of the storm's warm core, a larger proportion of the total integrated steering flow will be comprised of east-southeasterly flow at/below 600 hPa, hence the expected turn to the W or WNW in the next day or two. The evolution of the s/w trough associated w/ Gordon's remnants near the lower MS valley will be crucial to monitor going forward because in order to get stronger flow reversal under the building ridge to its north, a prolonged NW track like Hugo, Isabel, et al vs a broader recurvature, this feature usually needs to be present and in relatively close proximity to the storm. This remnant upper level trough being over the Gulf coast for example while our storm is offshore the SE US is often sufficiently close in instances like this.

View attachment 5870

You mean like Fran?

And all depends how far west she travels before Flo feels the effects to start pulling a wnw or nw motion again. If Flo stays strong on a due west movement or even a wsw/sw as some models are saying, could she miss the pull and put her in a new ballgame as in the track?

You mean like Fran?

Fran is also a good example. The placement of that upper level trough and it’s general presence are important, if it’s over the east-central Gulf Coast, or Deep South, it could drag Florence further into the southeastern US overall. Obviously, this doesn’t mean Florence wouldn’t be capable of doing this w/o it but the odds definitely would increase a lot. Lots of time left to sort this out.

Don't know how to post this to run but click the link and look at the worrisome evolution of the NHC track.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2018/FLORENCE_graphics.php?product=5day_cone_no_line

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The archives really won't let you save them as a .gif; it takes 3rd party software.
This is one of the most telling links regarding 'canes; it's in our Wiki by the way, so that any storm's NHC model history can be viewed. The "parent" link is here ... https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/ or better yet, go to our Wiki for this and many other useful tools!

The evolution is a bit disconcerting, btw ... :eek:

Back