• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

38a0cc9041e0acbd4e086cb88cebc03d54e39cb99c177f2d4df4e9cb6858a5b2.png

Doubt the euro is overamping the ridge...

Euro has a known bias to do that at times and I expect the 12z Euro will adjust north a touch probably back to the ILM landfall idea. ILM to MHX seems to be the area of greatest risk if you blend and account for the biases.

Euro has a known bias to do that at times and I expect the 12z Euro will adjust north a touch probably back to the ILM landfall idea. ILM to MHX seems to be the area of greatest risk if you blend and account for the biases.
Ehh that’s not true at all, the euro does better than most guidance in cases like this, Irma is a classic example.

So far, we have the ICON, the UK, the GFS, and the CMC locked in on OTS or barely into eastern NC. As much as I’d like to give the nod to the Euro, that’s a lot of globals against. Wonder if it’ll hold its course? I would have expected to see one of those others cave by now. We’re not that far away.

Euro runs in like 13 minutes so let's see if the OTS trend in the models continue.
Edit: Actually it starts at 1:45 PM. Just checked the model time schedule.

Last edited:
Ehh that’s not true at all, the euro does better than most guidance in cases like this, Irma is a classic example.
Euro has had a SW bias in the short term as evidenced here. Whether that plays into things going forward remains to be seen but it's worth nothing. For those who want to look at the model bias I would encourage you to check out this link, some great info on there and you can see what models are doing best with verification scores, bias, etc. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al062018/
biaZ.png.d82f9a981f2a3c03b659ed5b8443d31d.png

So far, we have the ICON, the UK, the GFS, and the CMC locked in on OTS or barely into eastern NC. As much as I’d like to give the nod to the Euro, that’s a lot of globals against. Wonder if it’ll hold its course? I would have expected to see one of those others cave by now. We’re not that far away.

New UK shifted west with a track close to the consensus. Still lots to determine going forward and I expect the Euro will adjust north a touch.
storm_06.gif

She's finally just north of 25N and appears to have a more northern component to her movement.... maybe wnw as opposed to just w, let's see if this continues

Euro has had a SW bias in the short term as evidenced here. Whether that plays into things going forward remains to be seen but it's worth nothing. For those who want to look at the model bias I would encourage you to check out this link, some great info on there and you can see what models are doing best with verification scores, bias, etc. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al062018/
biaZ.png.d82f9a981f2a3c03b659ed5b8443d31d.png
The synoptic pattern going forward is much different than what we’ve seen so far and many of those short term forecast issues occurred without the inclusion of HH data to initialize the model. There’s no systematic SW bias in the euro as you tried to assert earlier, there is in the UKMET but it’s been all over the place

Yep, and the EURO track would be so rare...that gives me more credence to the N/NE clip scenario that usually plays out.

Back