• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Yeah recon will be there soon, I'm curious to see what they find. I think she will peak sometime today, undergo an EWRC tonight or tomorrow, then the new eye will be much larger and a second peak prior to landfall is likely.
I notice models have a very large eye at landfall with an expanding wind field, again a little reminiscent of Irene to me, long duration winds over a large area equals major power outages issues in addition to the other horrors this storm could bring.

NHC says that watches could be issued by tomorrow morning:
Interests in the southeastern and mid-Atlantic states should monitor
the progress of Florence. Storm Surge and Hurricane watches could
be issued for portions of these areas by Tuesday morning.

11:00 AM AST Mon Sep 10
Moving: W at 13 mph
Min pressure: 962 mb
Max sustained: 115 mph
Is it expected to have dropped 24mb in a 24hr period? Also, I’m curious where this thing is at now compared to what the euro depicted last night. Looks like it’s still moving West..

Key part of discussion, this is going to have very wide spread impacts I'm afraid.... hope everyone is prepared!

As Florence approaches the southeastern
United States, there will likely be fluctuations in intensity from
eyewall cycles, but even if this occurs, the hurricane's wind field
is expected to grow with time, increasing the storm surge and inland
wind threats.
The bottom line is that there is increasing
confidence that Florence will be a large and extremely dangerous
hurricane, regardless of its exact intensity.

So here's something crazy! I said earlier that Campbell University was sending students home tomorrow, I was incorrect. My daughter just called, she works with the Football team, their game with Coastal Carolina in Myrtle Beach mind you, has been moved from Saturday to Wednesday?! What the heck?! While there will most likely be evacuations ongoing they are anticipating heading there to play a game? No way.....
To be fair, I evacuated from Gustav in 2008 in New Orleans. The state waited an extra day to call for the evacuation because LSU was playing football on that Saturday. In the South, football is greater than death. :p

No change in track yet....

145000_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

NHC track nearly the same and they mention that the corrected consensus they use has basically remained the same. For now I think that's the best course to go with and it doesn't look good for NC and upper SC with all that rain, surge and wind going well inland.

Is it expected to have dropped 24mb in a 24hr period? Also, I’m curious where this thing is at now compared to what the euro depicted last night. Looks like it’s still moving West..

YES. it is heading due W at this time . i dont foresee it getting N anytime soon

From the NWS briefing in Raleigh this morning:

"Remember, beginning this season, dangerous high winds associated with tropical storms and hurricanes will be warned using “Tropical Storm” and “Hurricane” watches and warnings, rather than “wind advisories” and “high wind warnings. ”

This may have been posted and some of you probably saw it on Allan twitter feed, but Hurricane Hazel in 1954 (the one my dad reminds me of every single year) hit the coast of NC with 130 mph winds, Florence is forecast to hit at 140 mph winds, if verifies, will be the strongest hurricane in history to hit the NC coast..... let that sink in for a moment. God speed!

And FWIW the 12z ICON has the ridge oriented more SE to NW like the NAM with a more northwestward movement as well... going to be real interesting to see if the Euro holds firm in a few hours

A big triple whammy looks to be in store for the Carolinas: Surge, Wind, and massive rain induced flooding. Would never want to say "Harvey, part 2," but there could be some comparisons made.

Back