• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Did the live update mechanism get turned off? Someone may have posted about it and I missed it. It's not working for me right now.

I think the Fv3 is still second rate to the Euro/EPS, the 6z HWRF also agrees with them btw...

We will see, in Lane for example as I posted above at 4-5 day lead times the FV3 outperformed the Euro and at day 3 and inside they were both about the same in track error. This will be another good test for the FV3 to see how it performs but so far it has impressed me with how it did with Lane. Certainly the synoptic setup is different and the Euro might be better in this situation so it will be interesting to see how it plays out, I'll be watching the FV3 closely to see how it does the rest of the way with Florence.

Guys just a friendly reminder. We have a lot of guest on here today. Please take a minute and register so you can take advantage of all the forum features. Also this only takes a min to do so.
Thank you and be safe!!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if the NHC bumps Florence even higher than 100 KTS/115 mph at the 11am advisory, the eye is warming rapidly and the surrounding cloud tops in the eyewall are cooling. Might be pushing cat 4 status by the time recon gets there around 2-3pm today.

I recently relocated to the greater Columbia SC area from South LA (I have had my fair share of hurricanes). If Florence were to make a landfall in SC what kind of wind could be expected that far inland? About 100 miles or so. I have heard several people reference Hugo as a comparison. Anyone experience that storm in the Midlands of SC?

I know UNC-Wilmington has canceled class for the week and told the students to go home. I am wondering if the colleges in the mountains like App State, UNC-Ashville, and Western Carolina are going to do the same.
Not sure about the western colleges but some inland one's are closing, my daughter is at Campbell University right there in Shane's backyard and they were told today they are going home tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Wobbling along 25N

I recently relocated to the greater Columbia SC area from South LA (I have had my fair share of hurricanes). If Florence were to make a landfall in SC what kind of wind could be expected that far inland? About 100 miles or so. I have heard several people reference Hugo as a comparison. Anyone experience that storm in the Midlands of SC?

I haven't personally experienced one that could be threatening like this one. From what I gathered from the few years i've been here and from the tracks/models we have seen so far. If this storm were to hit mid SC coast as a Cat4 we will more than likely still experience at the minimum Cat1 winds. Columbia is also a lower point of the state, flooding risk is very high the way this storm is forecast to stall. Really depends when this thing starts to swing north

Back