• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Magnificent March

March 2013 was never able to couple a favorable pac with a west based NAO. The EPO was negative when the NAO was more east based but then flipped positive when the west based NAO established. Hopefully we can get a favorable -EPO/-NAO combo during the first half of March.

March 2006 was similar, predominantly +EPO during first half.

7B2CD8A4-D8B5-4E32-9DC3-716FDE1DCC65.gif 13E794D1-1277-4091-B129-751670F0C1D2.gif

3-7_e-600x450.png

2 record breaking blocking highs in the next 5-6 days in the northern hemisphere. A 595dm ridge off the SE US is very impressive for the middle of summer much less February. The potentially record-breaking Scandinavian block will retrograde towards Greenland and will remain very formidable and may remain awfully close to record territory on its own. Like I said yesterday, this is not going to be your run of the mill 1 ish sigma blocking high, the CPC's GEFS NAO forecast doesn't do this upcoming event justice.
us_f18.png
nh_f150.png
nh_f144.png

I don't think you're all that crazy if you're along or north of I-40 and/or in the mountains that you could see a storm out of this pattern. The climo in areas like Raleigh, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, the VA border counties, western piedmont and foothills/mountains is good enough to legitimately support a storm through at least mid-March if the right pattern comes along. Elsewhere especially closer to the I-20 corridor (Birmingham, Atlanta, Columbia, etc) I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don’t worry. I’m not holding my breath for anyone to score in the SE the rest of winter. Just because you get a -NAO doesn’t mean it will produce ANY winter precipitation for ANYONE in the SE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t worry. I’m not holding my breath for anyone to score in the SE the rest of winter. Just because you get a -NAO doesn’t mean it will produce ANY winter precipitation for ANYONE in the SE.

If this was a plain old -NAO I wouldn’t be remotely excited about March. The fact that it’s west based changes everything for me. But - I wouldn’t be too thrilled if I was anywhere outside the upper SE or of course, Raleigh...need a lot for people outside of normal climo areas to cash in at March but if a pattern produces it would need a block, which we are certainly getting.

+1000 likes. With the way our pattern is right now, I can't see any deep cold doing anything. If anything, I think we'll also dry out a bit at the pattern change. All this rain can't lead to weeks more of excessive precip. I'll welcome the drier and cooler air bringing us back to seasonal. As for the -NAO, is that all we have going for us? How many times have we gone all in on one feature and busted...

If this was a plain old -NAO I wouldn’t be remotely excited about March. The fact that it’s west based changes everything for me. But - I wouldn’t be too thrilled if I was anywhere outside the upper SE or of course, Raleigh...need a lot for people outside of normal climo areas to cash in at March but if a pattern produces it would need a block, which we are certainly getting.

With these late season cold snaps that we get each year, I-40 north usually makes out just fine. I think it was 2014 that the triad got about 2-3 light winter events IIRC in March. Clt of course got zippo but cold annoying rain. If I was in winston salem and/or the mountains of the Carolinas, I'd think it's still game on. Late, late in the 4th quarter but still a chance.

Agreed, it's definitely a big reach and quite frankly very inaccurate to say that nobody in the southeast can score out of this pattern, the climatology of the I-40 corridor from RDU to GSO and Nashville is comprable or better than those in Atlanta, Birmingham, & Columbia along the I-20 in the dead of winter. It's not great yes but we're still very much in the mix til at least mid March.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
Agreed, it's definitely a big reach to say nobody in the southeast can score out of this pattern, the climatology of the I-40 corridor from RDU to GSO and Nashville is comprable or better than those in Atlanta, Birmingham, & Columbia along the I-20 in the dead of winter. It's not great yes but we're still very much in the mix til at least mid March

I don't at all disagree with this. I just hope nobody "expects" any wintry precip. of significance. Nobody is forecasting significant wintry precip. A strong -NAO is being forecasted and is generating excitement along with the near certainty of much cooler wx than we've had in Feb. That's the extent of what can be forecasted/promised.

Edit: That being said, that doesn't at all mean sig wintry precip cant happen, especially in NC/TN. Even BHM-ATL-CUB getting measurable wintry in March is not all that rare even though the odds are pretty low for any one March.

Last edited:
I don't think you're all that crazy if you're along or north of I-40 and/or in the mountains that you could see a storm out of this pattern. The climo in areas like Raleigh, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, the VA border counties, western piedmont and foothills/mountains is good enough to legitimately support a storm through at least mid-March if the right pattern comes along. Elsewhere especially closer to the I-20 corridor (Birmingham, Atlanta, Columbia, etc) I wouldn't hold my breath.
We have had legitimate winter weather in March 2 out of last 4 years up this way. It does happen but of course the more north you go the better the odds.

I am not saying that it can’t happen or that it won’t happen. I had 4.5” of snow in my backyard on November 1st 2014. I think March overall is a better month to score winter weather then in November so there’s that.

I don't at all disagree with this. I just hope nobody "expects" any wintry precip. of significance. Nobody is forecasting significant wintry precip. A strong -NAO is being forecasted and is generating excitement along with the near certainty of much cooler wx than we've had in Feb. That's the extent of what can be forecasted/promised.

Edit: That being said, that doesn't at all mean sig wintry precip cant happen, especially in NC/TN. Even BHM-ATL-CUB getting measurable wintry in March is not all that rare even though the odds are pretty low for any one March.

If you expect wintry weather in the south at any point of the winter you are wishing.

Last 3” or greater March snow for Raleigh was in 2009. Prior to that I guess it might have been 1983. It will be a challenge for Raleigh. But, still nice to see a potential -NAO develop.

Euro still doesn't show anything too exciting before February 30th.

Folks will no doubt be generally pleased with the colder 12Z EPS changes vs the 0Z EPS during the first week of March in the SE US.

Back