• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry King Kong Winter Storm Potential Feb 13th-16th

You wouldn't happen to recall the forecast input leading up to the '94 Ice Storm would you? I know it was warm a day or so beforehand but not sure to what lead of warning we had from the weather service / news media regarding this destructive ice storm.
all i had was a noaa weather radio then. i remember they were talking about it a couple days before. yes it was quite warm the day before all haite broke loose

You wouldn't happen to recall the forecast input leading up to the '94 Ice Storm would you? I know it was warm a day or so beforehand but not sure to what lead of warning we had from the weather service / news media regarding this destructive ice storm.
I can’t speak for you guys in Mississippi, but here in the Carolinas there wasn’t much lead time at all. The first mention of a possible winter storm from the NWS was the in the morning on the day before it arrived and that was a Wednesday. By the evening newscasts, while highs had topped out in the mid 70s, it was the lead story. From 5pm on Wednesday to 5pm on Thursday the temp in Charlotte had fallen from 74 to 29.

Next Sunday/Monday looks more a possibility.

I can’t speak for you guys in Mississippi, but here in the Carolinas there wasn’t much lead time at all. The first mention of a possible winter storm from the NWS was the in the morning on the day before it arrived and that was a Wednesday. By the evening newscasts, while highs had topped out in the mid 70s, it was the lead story. From 5pm on Wednesday to 5pm on Thursday the temp in Charlotte had fallen from 74 to 29.
Thanks for the insight from your location during this event!

Does anyone have the gut feeling this storm is gonna come back? Or do you guys think it’s gone.

Does anyone have the gut feeling this storm is gonna come back? Or do you guys think it’s gone.
Personally, I believe it will for a couple reasons. First, though not as strong, there is still a decent signal on ensemble guidance. Also, many of the things that are causing the bad trends right now fall into line with what model biases and tendencies have been during this timeframe throughout the winter and if those tendencies continue to progress and correct the way we’ve seen in previous examples, the model solutions should follow...and now we have a much better cold air source to tap into to help make those changes meaningful

Back