• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

July Fry 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Q! I may check this if I get a chance but I need time. I'm curious myself. Because this is largely soil moisture related, I don't know that the trend would go all the way through the subsequent winter.
I wonder if any of those 37 years had below normal rainfall for June and July.

I wonder if any of those 37 years had below normal rainfall for June and July.

Great Q! Yes, these 7 of 37 Jun-Jul period were BN in rainfall:

- 1880 2" BN but very wet Mar-May
- 1894 2" BN
- 1909 2" BN but wet Feb-Apr
- 1923 3" BN but 2nd wettest May on record
- 1929 3" BN but very wet Feb-May
- 1973 3" BN but very wet Jan. Mar, May
- 1976 2" BN but very wet Mar and May

So, 1894 is the only one of the 37 I can't explain due to moist soils because it was BN in the June-July period, Mar-May were also dry, and August was near normal (so not very wet). So, 1894 stands out. Maybe there were a lot of Canadian high cold fronts coming all of the way through in the summer of 1894?? I know the subsequent winter (1894-5) was a doozy fwiw!

Edit: 1976-7 is the coldest winter on record at KATL and in much of the SE!

Last edited:
Great Q! I may check this if I get a chance but I need time. I'm curious myself. Because this is largely soil moisture related, I don't know that the trend would go all the way through the subsequent winter.

I checked a couple of other places for the number of 90s so far this summer:

Asheville, NC: 0
Atlanta, GA: 6
Marietta, GA: 4
Columbia, SC: 31
Augusta, GA: 33
Greenville, SC: 15
Charlotte, NC: 19
RDU, NC: 17
Nashville, TN: 22
Chattanooga, TN: 17

This is July from someone's home weather station in the highest part of metro Atlanta in northeast Pickens County on Burnt Mountain at 3000'

1626021396842.png

This is July from someone's home weather station in the highest part of metro Atlanta in northeast Pickens County on Burnt Mountain at 3000'

View attachment 86408
20 90s at the house so probably right around normal or just below. Wouldn't be surprised to add 6 this week

Lordy it is 91/79 at the NCSU WeatherSTEM. HI 109. 86/72 here

Reactions: SD

View attachment 86408
22 days of 90 in Nashville and only 6 in Atlanta. I can only assume Nashville has been much drier.

Yeah lots more coverage than models had that is for sure .. just a classic summer day .. I have a feeling this will be the norm for a little .. nowcast everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back