• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

July Fry 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog days 2021 in United States began on
Saturday
July 3
and ends on
Wednesday
August 11:

People also ask
Why do they call it dog days of summer?
The phrase is actually a reference to the fact that, during this time, the Sun occupies the same region of the sky as Sirius, the brightest star visible from any part of Earth and part of the constellation Canis Major, the Greater Dog. ... They referred to this time as diēs caniculārēs, or “dog days.”

This week is about as average a week as you can expect around here in summer.....91/73 each day with a slight chance of a storm popping.....though after that the pattern looks to return to the stormier wetter pattern.....not bad though with no real excessive heat for most of the SE....still have not exceeded 95 here all summer and only 17 days at or above 90....

Dog days 2021 in United States began on
Saturday
July 3
and ends on
Wednesday
August 11:

People also ask
Why do they call it dog days of summer?
The phrase is actually a reference to the fact that, during this time, the Sun occupies the same region of the sky as Sirius, the brightest star visible from any part of Earth and part of the constellation Canis Major, the Greater Dog. ... They referred to this time as diēs caniculārēs, or “dog days.”
I always get annoyed when it's Mid to Late August and people are still referring to it as the Dog Days of Summer when they end on August 11 !

I checked a couple of other places for the number of 90s so far this summer:

Asheville, NC: 0
Atlanta, GA: 6
Marietta, GA: 4
Columbia, SC: 31
Augusta, GA: 33
Greenville, SC: 15
Charlotte, NC: 19
RDU, NC: 17
Nashville, TN: 22
Chattanooga, TN: 17

This is July from someone's home weather station in the highest part of metro Atlanta in northeast Pickens County on Burnt Mountain at 3000'
Thanks for the list. For GSP, at least, many of those 15 have been just barely; with 9 of those days being 90 exactly. The highest is 92. Easley has reached 90 12 times. Not sure where that measurement is taken but my high so far has been 89. I am away from any real pavement and in a very wooded area so...

Thanks for the list. For GSP, at least, many of those 15 have been just barely; with 9 of those days being 90 exactly. The highest is 92. Easley has reached 90 12 times. Not sure where that measurement is taken but my high so far has been 89. I am away from any real pavement and in a very wooded area so...
Be glad you do. :)

Bob Debarbaladen over at WRAL years ago would refer to any August day as "dog days". Of course, I doubt he even knew the origin, and it was back in the mid 80's.
I also notice that some people only refer to August as the Dog Days. They sometimes forget July is the Dog Days too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back