• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

While the gfs could be wrong its been very consistent on a winter storm and brutal cold temps for us here in the mid south the last four runs. I haven't had a sub zero temp here since 1988.

We lost this weeks storm about day 5.5 or 6 on the Sat 12/23 runs so I refuse to get my hopes up at all until inside day 5. We even had tons of ensemble support and it just went poof:(

Happy New Year from the gfs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
263178b2b11057c78fb5841f9c0f0d42.jpg

4 general threats have emerged out of this favorable pattern in late December & early January. We have one tomorrow (nickel/dime event at best), another on the 28th-29th that's still being sorted out and it looks like the period from January 2-6 has split into 2 separate threats in the EPS, one on January 1-3 & another January 5-7, which could end up being the last one for a while if this pattern flips by mid-month. There's a fifth threat trying to emerge right before New Years but it doesn't have much momentum atm except near Fayetteville, & Raleigh NC
KATL_2017122600_eps24_snow_360.png
KBHM_2017122600_eps24_snow_360.png
KRDU_2017122600_eps24_snow_360.png
KFAY_2017122600_eps24_snow_360.png

Brad Huffines, former long time meteorologist here in Huntsville, posted this about the upcoming cold coming here:

As cold as my ex-wife's heart.That is, at least on night two, cold enough to bust water pipes inside walls and attics of homes, and especially older manufactured homes whose substructure plumbing isn't as well insulated as newer construction. And then the pipe freezing weather continues for several days. Insurance companies should be out ahead of this with messaging to their clients.

Very wise move on their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I
For fun who has the good GEFS maps, looked good on Pivotal.... I want to see my next disappointment
I will delete all negative comments. I saw the poo train in the Friday threat thread . That is not allowed in here

Brad Huffines, former long time meteorologist here in Huntsville, posted this about the upcoming cold coming here:

As cold as my ex-wife's heart.That is, at least on night two, cold enough to bust water pipes inside walls and attics of homes, and especially older manufactured homes whose substructure plumbing isn't as well insulated as newer construction. And then the pipe freezing weather continues for several days. Insurance companies should be out ahead of this with messaging to their clients.
A little premature as nothing really supports the gfs and cmc cold. Their ensembles are warmer , still cold but warmer

Back