• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

I don’t care how hard it snows but 61 soil temps sucks we will lose up to 4”snowfall and be muddy mess underneath and very wet roads. We need a cold blast or two for sure we can still lower it down…overnight temps have been 30+ degrees above normal here!

Big Hudson Bay vortex looks ready to drop down from time to time
I swear I think I remember when we did this similar look in 13/14 14/15 the models always wanted to contract beat down western ridging, contact the pv polward and raise heights in the eastern half of the US only to correct to a taller ridge, deeper south pv, lower Eastern heights. Obviously a different time and "better" models now. Just something I thought about

Last edited:
I have always not hated on -PNAs (other then exceptionally strong ones like the one we just had) as that’s some of the best ways Charlotte has scored in the past with Miller Bs, sure +PNAs deliver legitimate cold but they typically lean more to Miller A cyclones which is better for ENC and screw areas back west, of course there’s the rare exception of some bowling ball ULL ejecting out under the PNA ridge from the SW in tandem with a NE US vortex
I can't remember it exactly, but Webb shared a graphic he made about snowfall on A's vs B's, and B's can often screw us in the Piedmont. There's often a dryslot that forms over the Central / Western NC during the low transfer to the coast.

I can't remember it exactly, but Webb shared a graphic he made about snowfall on A's vs B's, and B's can often screw us in the Piedmont. There's often a dryslot that forms over the Central / Western NC during the low transfer to the coast.
While that can happen, Miller Bs are typically still better for snow for us back west even with mixed precip favored, while As screw us due to most of the time being to Far East

But the problem with Miller As is that you’re always running a fine line on the NW edge. Those accumulations drop off so quickly. Ask folks in northern Mecklenburg County how good the January 2000 storm was…. those folks barely got an inch or so while southeastern parts of the county and into southern Cabarrus and Union Counties were dumped on.

But the problem with Miller As is that you’re always running a fine line on the NW edge. Those accumulations drop off so quickly. Ask folks in northern Mecklenburg County how good the January 2000 storm was…. those folks barely got an inch or so while southeastern parts of the county and into southern Cabarrus and Union Counties were dumped on.
Sounds good to me ?

Sounds good to me ?
Yeah but too many times over the years that cut off has been much further south and east. The early January 2018 storm put down 2 inches just 14 miles to my southeast while I barely got a flurry. I’ll always take my chances with a February 2014 type set up or even though it didn’t work out for my spot specifically, December 2018.

Yeah but too many times over the years that cut off has been much further south and east. The early January 2018 storm put down 2 inches just 14 miles to my southeast while I barely got a flurry. I’ll always take my chances with a February 2014 type set up or even though it didn’t work out for my spot specifically, December 2018.
Feb 2004 or go home for me.

Definitely in my top 5 for sure! I kinda like the 2nd and 3rd week of January. I think there's potential. As we seen with this upcoming system. Never trust anything past day 5. Sure look at h5 and the indices ect get an overall idea of what's possible.

Active pattern on tap early 2022, ~996mb through the coastal plain or just offshore 1/3 and rising +PNA another storm after 1/11 with possible Baja ejection, like inflection points but this should be a spiking PNA, go figure, nature corrects NW to SE, I guess, why not, looking at PDX/SEA and now…

Last edited:
I doubt I ever get to experience another February 2004 in my lifetime. Not that we’re not gonna see similar set ups and low tracks, but what made that storm so unforgettable was the way that the areas that got dumped on the hardest during the overrunning first half of the storm are also the same spots that got the most from the upper low as it crossed by.

Back