• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

Can't help but notice the trough in the west...
Yeah it's less than ideal to see that continually show up. Good news is that we're looking at a 16 day image. Hopefully, it will change.

Pretty interesting if you look back at say the last 10-20 years of cold neutral or full on nina winters we went through a similar process in the north pac around this similar time frame with varying results for our region Even the crowd favorite 2011-2012. compday.4tLmBrPjFg.gif
compday.CxhtpijE3e.gif
compday.Sc374dq7vw.gif

Pretty interesting if you look back at say the last 10-20 years of cold neutral or full on nina winters we went through a similar process in the north pac around this similar time frame with varying results for our region Even the crowd favorite 2011-2012. View attachment 99906
View attachment 99907
View attachment 99908
I wonder why the eps and gefs are so different and which one makes the most sense moving forward?

SD, we still need a big shakeup in the atmosphere any way we can get it to get more or better opportunity at durable cold.
A big shakeup isn't that needed imo we stopped the wave break cycle over the npac and extended the pacific jet. That's going force the new ridge and cut it off and start to feed more cold into Noam as a whole. The issue we now have is the extended pac jet and closed ridge around AK. The eps and gefs handle these differently with the gefs slowly retracting the jet allowing for more western ridging and merging of west coast ridging with the AK ridge which forces the cold vortex into Hudson Bay. The eps as a whole keep the pac jet extended which keeps the west coast ridging at bay and helps retrograde the closed high so the colder vortex doesn't dig and just tilts east and retracts poleward. I hope the gefs is right but since we can't winter anymore I figure the eps will be

I'm under the impression that w/ this AAM distribution and evolution (summarized as the GWO) that the deeper we go into February, the more likely we'll see +NAO/+AO/+NAM, which would favor warmth and a strong SE ridge around here. La Nina climo (February is usually warm-torchy) & the current episode of high-latitude North Pacific blocking coupled w/ +NAO & already strong +NAM in the mid-upper stratosphere lends even more credence to this idea.

Certainly will be interesting though prior to then, as the subtropical jet will be more amped than usual for much of January and the negative momentum that's entering the mid-latitudes is a favorable look for high-latitude blocking. (may be more-so in the Pacific instead of the Atlantic tho)

glaam.sig1-21.seascyc.90day.gif

nice rain for us in clt. nice for the mtns though.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_15.png

Back