• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

The real question is whether or not the CFS has ever had a prior run modeled this cold before? If it did, what actually happened in the weeks that followed.
I cant compare intensity but I have seen the CFS at that range show temps that cold plenty of times before. Honestly every year, last year might be an exeption I cant recall if I ever saw that last year.

I cant compare intensity but I have seen the CFS at that range show temps that cold plenty of times before. Honestly every year, last year might be an exeption I cant recall if I ever saw that last year.

What provider’s maps are you referring to? Any one in particular? The snowcover induced cooling algorithms could easily be flawed way too cold.

What provider’s maps are you referring to? Any one in particular? The snowcover induced cooling algorithms could easily be flawed way too cold.

Larry, nw Arkansas got down to -22 last February so it can be done in the south. Just not often enough unfortunately

Ok, thanks. That’s all I need to know. So, from what you’re saying, this isn’t even an extraordinarily cold CFS run on Pivotal
In terms of how cold it got no, but how long it lasted ? I’m not sure , I can’t recall if I ever saw it show something that lasted 200+ hours .

Larry, nw Arkansas got down to -22 last February so it can be done in the south. Just not often enough unfortunately

Fayetteville, AR, which got down to -22 last Feb, is 350 miles NW of Jackson and 1,100 feet higher elevation than Jackson. And to repeat, the coldest on record at Jackson is “only” -5 and that was over their deepest snowcover on record by a wide margin.

In very very specific locations that make up probably .0001% of the states land area . New market Alabama has the record at -24 near Huntsville . -24 is not that close to -30 so a bit misleading .
I think it was -27 in New Market

Regardless, those cold patterns are anomalies for a reason. Got to have the right atmospheric conditions to allow that to occur.

But likely issues with forecast model map output algorithms shouldn’t be ignored. That’s 17 colder than their coldest on record, which itself was over deep snowcover.

Back