• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

Yep goes to the point that we in the SE need a +PNA. I know there are exceptions but generally we need a big western ridge to push storm tracks to our south. Otherwise we just keep getting storm tracks up through the great lakes which also keep the coldest air in the west.

The last couple of days on the GEFS weren’t too bad temp wise. Still not ideal for snow but more seasonable temps. All it takes is one week like Seattle is getting and everyone on this board will be happy

The last couple of days on the GEFS weren’t too bad temp wise. Still not ideal for snow but more seasonable temps. All it takes is one week like Seattle is getting and everyone on this board will be happy

It looks like a mirage to me overall. The GOA ridge doesn’t move at all through the end of the run. We’re stuck in the same ? as we’re in now

The 6z op GFS shows one of the synoptic pathways I mentioned yesterday wrt how we get out this crap. The Okhotsk vortex comes out into the Bering Sea and Aleutians, speeds up/extends the pacific jet, forcing the GOA to move eastward closer to the west coast. Still would not a good or great pattern by any means but it would be an improvement over what we have now.
1F494C4F-8D03-4AD5-8F61-0FB2D6A72C1B.png

As bad as the H5 pattern looks on the west coast, I think the -NAO/-AO is going to cause changes like this the closer we get to the short range. Obviously nowhere near what we want for snow but it keeps you generally average or slightly below average which in this pattern is about all you can ask for. But if that -NAO starts breaking down, everyone west of the apps is going to roast and everyone east can get saved every now and again from CAD but still will get warm as well.

Yep goes to the point that we in the SE need a +PNA. I know there are exceptions but generally we need a big western ridge to push storm tracks to our south. Otherwise we just keep getting storm tracks up through the great lakes which also keep the coldest air in the west.

I’d settle for neutral or even -1 at this rate.

EPS forecast is all the way down near -6 ?
AA43C576-FAFD-4764-8A6F-228FDD4A5063.jpeg

I don't think anyone knows exactly what we need to get snow here anymore.

I’d settle for neutral or even -1 at this rate.

EPS forecast is all the way down near -6 ?
View attachment 98696

Thanks for posting that. The PNA is like the NAO for WxBell in that their numbers are inflated vs NCEP. They’re forecasting -6, which is way more negative than any NCEP PNA on record. So, they clearly use a different scale. Just to compare, NCEP’s forecast has it dipping to -2 vs the WxBell’s -6. On an NCEP basis, -2 is a very strong -PNA:

5B93ABC8-6C17-431C-AF9E-9B707B7E322C.gif

OTOH, WxBell’s AO numbers seem to be consistent with NCEP.

Thanks for posting that. The PNA is like the NAO for WxBell in that their numbers are inflated vs NCEP. They’re forecasting -6, which is way more negative than any NCEP PNA on record. So, they clearly use a different scale. Just to compare, NCEP’s forecast has it dipping to -2 vs the WxBell’s -6. On an NCEP basis, -2 is a very strong -PNA:

View attachment 98700

OTOH, WxBell’s AO numbers seem to be consistent with NCEP.

We're currently on pace to potentially set a record for strongest -PNA in December.

Oh my. The 06z GFS run was pretty ugly (for those who are sick of the warmth) until the very end.

-PNA wins again! :p

Pattern persistence…it’s undeniable. Also seems there are trends carrying on from year to year. Seems the south has gotten warmer and maybe less snowy while the Pac NW is a veritable snowtopia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back