• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

Rah NWS throwing out a very localized HWO for possible rain/snow mix for NW Piedmont early Friday.... that's good, they are very conservative and cautious with pulling trigger on wintry precip.

If they have any affiliation with Mix 101.5 they said the NW mountains could see some wet flakes.

When you get a track like that with just slightly better temps in the 850s and 925s, ohhhh boy. I can only see the 925s on the ICON and they were a couple of degrees below freezing the whole way so this one looks pretty good as of right now. Lets see where the GFS takes us.

I doubt precip will be an issue with as much as we have had here lately.

If anything like that does develop for Charlotte metro, there would likely be some decent accumulations as that band pivots through... even for southeast parts of the metro area. Also I saw some question about ground temperatures earlier and I pulled up currently that soil temperatures right now are generally in the mid to upper 40s throughout the Piedmont and we have some nights in the upper 20s coming up and with highs Wednesday and Thursday basically in the upper 40s, soil temperatures should hold steady if not fall back a few degrees. Not a frozen ground for whatever may fall, but we’ve certainly had significant snowfalls with higher soil temperatures going in.

Guys... is this really happening or is just a sick joke to the start of 2021? Loving where we stand right now. But we’ve been NAM’d before, so I’m trying to keep those expectations modest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFS probably might sling it more SE then the run before, we’ll see tho I could be wrong

Back