• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

I don't get it. It's not at all uncommon for waves to come in from California and interact with a cold air mass to produce a winter storm in the SE. I mean, it's not all that common to get snow in the SE, but that scenario is definitely a favored option, especially in a Nino.
If anybody remembers the two great back to back winters of '09 -'10, and '10 -'11, one of those winters and I think both of them, all of our systems came out of southern California, arched up into the 4 corners, and then back down across the northern Gulf coast.

It's going to have to take one massive NW trend to get this system remotely close to anyone on this board. If nothing changes in the next 3 days, I'm out on thinking anyone will get anything.

1018MB low for the win! Maybe it will trend to 1015mb or so and get a half inch or inch inland.
namconus_ref_frzn_seus_43.png

12z nam is trying to keep a solid wave intact and trying to give Larry some love
55335ffa260551cdb58e178e17e79a3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soundings from the NAM don't really support snow on Sunday, but I would watch the potential for IP/FZRA across MS/AL. This sounding is for 18z around Birmingham:

nam_2017122912_054_33.51--86.84.png

Not much moisture in the snow growth region, but quite a bit of moisture from about 800 mb to the surface, with a warm nose from 700-850 mb.

Back