• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Great discussion, really refreshing to see some familiar names and many I don't know. We're not far from seeing a quicker dominant coastal formation tucked in closer to the coast as the trend over the past several days is to take the shortwave neutral sooner. The natural baroclinic zone off the EC this time of year and the delta T with very cold air coming off the continent would argue for a track along the Gulf Stream, these storms like to travel the path of least resistance for intensification. Accumulating SN is likely going to miss the MA but many SE events do while socking SNE. Petersburg VA to Columbia SC and east is the current envelope for accumulating type considering small NW adjustments inside of 48hrs. The guidance still has about 24hrs to settle down, and by 0z 1/2 all energy in question should be fully sampled.
Welcome aboard and to the southernwx family... glad you found us!

I don't
With the pieces of energy trending towards phasing earlier and further west(before the piece of energy even gets sampled) and seeing that system tend to trend much further Northwest,even within 3 days,The Coast of Georgia,Coastal South Carolina and Coastal North Carolina will likely see just rain with maybe flurries while Most of Alabama,Northern Georgia,Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina could see snow with he midweek system.
it's not going that far west lol

68d9bafb8ef1837a49879a1d05ac2e23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm should be some interesting members for the gulf coast. I wonder if we can hit a majority of the beaches for the second time this winter with measurable snowfall. When is the last time that happened.

SFC lows that are less than 200 miles off the coast means rain for the coast of Georgia,South Carolina and North Carolina due to WAA(Warm air advection) and more prep westward,.While not a high chance as of now,I believe this system could develop in the gulf and hug the coast.Climatology overall doesn't really support a snow event for coastal areas.

Neither do 1050mb highs either...we're not dealing with a run of the mill cold outbreak, either.

With all due respect you're either wishcasting or really underestimating how far west Upstate SC, North GA, Alabama, etc. are compared to even the Piedmont of N.C, let alone the coastal areas. For those areas to get anything there would have to be a very unrealistic early phase.

To illustrate this, find a map of the South, pinpoint places in the regions you said that will get snow and draw a straight line south. Compare that to places like CLT, GSO, RAH, etc.

I believe when things are done trending Northwest,The core of the snow could be in Central North Carolina,Central South Carolina and Central Georgia with snow in Northern Georgia,Upstate South Carolina and maybe even Western North Carolina while being too warm for anything besides rain for coastal regions of Georgia,South Carolina and North Carolina.

I believe when things are done trending Northwest,The core of the snow could be in Central North Carolina,Central South Carolina and Central Georgia with snow in Northern Georgia,Upstate South Carolina and maybe even Western North Carolina while being too warm for anything besides rain for coastal regions of Georgia,South Carolina and North Carolina.

Lol you've said this a million times already.

With all due respect you're either wishcasting or really underestimating how far west Upstate SC, North GA, Alabama, etc. are compared to even the Piedmont of N.C, let alone the coastal areas. For those areas to get anything there would have to be a very unrealistic early phase.

To illustrate this, find a map of the South, pinpoint places in the regions you said that will get snow and draw a straight line south. Compare that to places like CLT, GSO, RAH, etc.
I was discussing this with Forsyth I could certainly see a few flurries across parts of Alabama, Georgia, upstate SC and western NC with the upper level energy. It's very difficult though to advect coastal moisture from a SE forming coastal low well west and northwest. In this case that might be made even more difficult on the western edge with the arctic airmass in place. Now if an earlier phase occurs obviously that will shift the precip field NW but at 84 hours I doubt we would see more than 75-100 miles NW

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No that won't happen, what supports your theory?

With the pieces of energy trending towards phasing earlier and further west(before the piece of energy even gets sampled) and seeing that system tend to trend much further Northwest,even within 3 days,The Coast of Georgia,Coastal South Carolina and Coastal North Carolina will likely see just rain with maybe flurries while Most of Alabama,Northern Georgia,Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina could see snow with he midweek system.
Wishcast that all you like, but it's not happening.

Could you imagine if this beast got any closer, the minimum MSLP on this sucker would be the lowest on record at/south of Hatteras in January if the EPS control verified.
eps_slp_c_east_17.png

The current record holder as far as I'm aware is January 23-24 1940 w/ a MSLP of 978 hPa right over Hatteras. As a general rule of thumb/benchmark if you want the best snows over RDU we'll need to see this low end up about 50-75 miles or so just east of Hatteras, for those in the Triad and Charlotte, a track over Hatteras is needed to put you in the core, for those along I-95 at least 100 miles offshore, etc.
Here's the MSLP and 1000-500 thickness analysis from ERA-20C. While surface temps were plenty cold, the precipitation changed over to sleet during the height of the storm in RDU while those in Durham and Orange county got plastered w/ heavy/wet snow. This should provide a good general benchmark of where our low needs to be for each specific region of NC to score the most snow
6z January 24 1940 MSLP & Thicknesses.jpg
January 23-24 1940 NC Snowmap.png

Hmm should be some interesting members for the gulf coast. I wonder if we can hit a majority of the beaches for the second time this winter with measurable snowfall. When is the last time that happened.
I'm curious about that precip along the gulf coast and if there is any convection going on in the gulf

I was discussing this with Forsyth I could certainly see a few flurries across parts of Alabama, Georgia, upstate SC and western NC with the upper level energy. It's very difficult though to advect coastal moisture from a SE forming coastal low well west and northwest. In this case that might be made even more difficult on the western edge with the arctic airmass in place. Now if an earlier phase occurs obviously that will shift the precip field NW but at 84 hours I doubt we would see more than 75-100 miles NW

Yeah, it's unlikely we see a drastic shift in the models, so if you are in the coastal areas of the Carolinas to Raleigh, you should be the ones looking at this storm. If not, let's root for snow there and maybe even down to Savannah.

Could you imagine if this beast got any closer, the minimum MSLP on this sucker would be the lowest on record at/south of Hatteras in January if the EPS control verified.
View attachment 2497

The current record holder as far as I'm aware is January 23-24 1940 w/ a MSLP of 978 hPa right over Hatteras. As a general rule of thumb/benchmark if you want the best snows over RDU we'll need to see this low end up about 50-75 miles or so just east of Hatteras, for those in the Triad and Charlotte, a track over Hatteras is needed to put you in the core, for those along I-95 at least 100 miles offshore, etc.
Here's the MSLP and 1000-500 thickness analysis from ERA-20C. While surface temps were plenty cold, the precipitation changed over to sleet during the height of the storm in RDU while those in Durham and Orange county got plastered w/ heavy/wet snow. This should provide a good general benchmark of where our low needs to be for each specific region of NC to score the most snow
View attachment 2498
View attachment 2499
That would be one hell of a blizzard

Good luck on getting a SFC low west of the 850mb and 700mb lows aloft

Wow, it appears that eastern North Carolina really got the shaft during the 1940 storm. I've never looked at a precipitation map for Georgia for the storm, but I know that it snowed as far south as my location due to the fact that I have a picture of my eight year old grandfather and his two siblings that was snapped on their front lawn after the event was over.

Back