• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Close off please
1801723af7d215aa0cc92aeadf81094a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I could see this trending far enough west that sleet significantly cuts down on totals along the coast, but all rain is not happening.
A track further enough west would mean just rain for the coastal areas,which is a good possibility considering the west trends(before the energy even gets sampled).Climatology and possibly the storm track over once the Northwest trend ends just doesn't support a winter storm for coastal regions of Georgia,South Carolina or North Carolina(outside of the Northern Outer Banks).

Big improvement vs 12z with the interactions, timing in now less than 3 hours for a big phasing event over the FL Panhandle, this would tuck a coastal much closer to the coast with mixing here, maybe even RN.

A track further enough west would mean just rain for the coastal areas,which is a good possibility considering the west trends(before the energy even gets sampled).Climatology and possibly the storm track over once the Northwest trend ends just doesn't support a winter storm for coastal regions of Georgia,South Carolina or North Carolina(outside of the Northern Outer Banks).
It's not going that far west

Bro...how many times are you going to mention this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Impressive map. I believe that was one of the coldest months on record for parts of Georgia and probably other areas of the Southeast. I’m sure Larry can share the specific records with us.
Yeah, the second half of January 1940 was basically like this upcoming week. However, the temperature anomalies were much colder than what we will even see in the very near future. While our area did get snow out of this system depicted above, our biggest event in the first half of the twentieth century was the storm on 2/25-26/1914.

I'm going to serve it to you raw: This is not Atlanta's storm. It never can be. Snow will not reach Atlanta in any way.

I'm going to serve it to you raw: This is not Atlanta's storm. It never can be. Snow will not reach Atlanta in any way.

I wouldn't say never. I think he is wishcasting, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that there's a remote chance parts of the Atlanta metro get something out of this even if it's a dusting....maybe the S or SE parts of the metro.

Now need that low to go bout 300 NW in next 24-36 hours and watch SE and this board go bonkers....hey I'm gonna wishcast and watching models. It's just like watching your favorite team come back from a 24 point deficit with a quarter and half left in superbowl... stupid Pats!!!! #still angry

I'm going to say this kindly, and I'm also going to say don't get excited anyone, but that storm was also historic for Atlanta. I don't think we can rival that storm personally, but I wouldn't mind having a record broken by a low like that.

Yeah I don't think we're gonna be able to get this storm to come that far west, the negative tilt of the parent trough in the January 1940 is nothing like I've ever seen before, aside from maybe the March 1993 superstorm, if that. The amount of barotropic energy conversion this thing underwent is mind-blowing.
Here's a 500 hpa vorticity, height, and wind animation for the Jan 1940 event via ERA-20C so you can see what I'm talking about
Jan-22-25-1940-500-hPa-animation.gif

You can see the backing over the Delmarva at 850, this has the hallmark of a cold core conveyor setting up, maybe down in to SC just east of CAE.

Isn't it pretty obvious where the surface low should be tracking with a neg tilted H5 trough and this setting out there? If the low doesn't adjust significantly further west with this setup I'm going to have to go back to school for a while.

namconus_T2m_seus_50.png
Yeah I don't think we're gonna be able to get this storm to come that far west, the negative tilt of the parent trough in the January 1940 is nothing like I've ever seen before, aside from maybe the March 1993 superstorm, if that. The amount of barotropic energy conversion this thing underwent is mind-blowing.
Here's a 500 hpa vorticity, height, and wind animation for the Jan 1940 event via ERA-20C so you can see what I'm talking about
Jan-22-25-1940-500-hPa-animation.gif
This is just :confused:

Back