• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

gfs_asnow_seus_16.png

We're due, that's for sure. I think 1.5 to 2 is a good bet for now, with potential for more depending on banding features.
Due to the ground being warm and temps being near 30 or so when it snows I'm going to predict there will be more melting than predicted. Also, I think it will be coming in during the daytime and unless temps fall significantly below freezing while snowing, I don't think as much will stick. I'm going with a dusting to 1 inch for Chattanooga. Some of the snow in Chattanooga may start with temps in the mid 30s also, falling to the upper 20s at the end of the event according to the NWS.

Due to the ground being warm and temps being near 30 or so when it snows I'm going to predict there will be more melting than predicted. Also, I think it will be coming in during the daytime and unless temps fall significantly below freezing while snowing, I don't think as much will stick. I'm going with a dusting to 1 inch for Chattanooga. Some of the snow in Chattanooga may start with temps in the mid 30s also, falling to the upper 20s at the end of the event according to the NWS.
And we respectfully disagree. The NWS MRX is going with 2" maybe 4" as stated. Arctict air is to not be underestimated west apps

And we respectfully disagree. The NWS MRX is going with 2" maybe 4" as stated. Arctict air is to not be underestimated west apps
I just think the colder air will have a harder time making it all the way to Chattanooga. I can definitely see areas further west like Fayetteville picking up a good 1 to 3 inch snow. I really don't like the timing of the event for Chattanooga and areas further south and east. Would be much better if it came in early in the morning or late in the evening.

I just think the colder air will have a harder time making it all the way to Chattanooga. I can definitely see areas further west like Fayetteville picking up a good 1 to 3 inch snow.
why do you think it will suddenly stop? this arctic front is blasting through, it's not slowing down there

why do you think it will suddenly stop? this arctic front is blasting through, it's not slowing down there
It won't stop, I just don't like the timing during the middle of the day and the ground temps. A good bit of the snow could be falling with temps above freezing during the late morning or early afternoon. Now if the snow was falling with temps well below freezing it would be another story.

Lord heavens, this is a PV arctic blast and it's in the upper 20s at Chattanooga at peak of precip and doesn't get warmer. I don't think they're going to get much melting, if any. In fact, it's in the 20s in a good portion of northern areas.

Although yes, this has been moderating though from earlier, so if we keep moderating to go, perhaps it is 32-34.

Lord heavens, this is a PV arctic blast and it's in the upper 20s at Chattanooga at peak of precip and doesn't get warmer. I don't think they're going to get much melting, if any. In fact, it's in the 20s in a good portion of northern areas.
The NWS Hourly Weather Forecast for Chattanooga has it in the low to mid 30s much of the event falling to the upper 20s at the end of the event, so that's why i'm concerned about snowfall accumulation especially during middle of the day. If it was 25-28 during the whole event it would be an entirely different story.

The NWS Hourly Weather Forecast for Chattanooga has it in the low to mid 30s much of the event falling to the upper 20s at the end of the event, so that's why i'm concerned about snowfall accumulation especially during middle of the day. If it was 25-28 during the whole event it would be an entirely different story.
why are you concerned if you are in indiana? smh

Back