• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

Dead horse and all, but be careful with the tropical tidbits snow accum maps....I wouldn’t be surprised if some folks in the TN valley saw 2-3”, but I think you’re correct for areas further south & east, especially into GA see more than an inch or so with The downslope winds from the mountains.

Based off pivotal it's actually mostly legit though and even going by 10:1, it has 2-4" in North Georgia, some of that is mountains but not really in NE GA. The real question however is if the wetter idea can pan out. It can if the sharper trough and popping a low pressure deal is correct.

Any consensus yet if a LP is forming on the front? What's driving the enhanced totals on the Euro & Nam?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

icon_asnow_seus_29.png

Timing is the KEY. I think GA and eastbound from there will be the biggest reason why we don’t see that much of any. NC could still be ok with time of day, but GA it’s the worst time of day. Yeah we have a cold punch but 2m temps do climb enough where it’s going to be a struggle initially. Now, what’s interesting to me is that for central GA the new nam is close to the .5” qpf... I think there could be more here because we have the heaviest rates and qpf. It will be interesting to see gfs and euro today. Notice how nam is showing how this could slow down a bit more as well. Hell look at the what was supposed to be early weekend storm, now late weekend and how much that slowed. Good for thought.

Timing is the KEY. I think GA and eastbound from there will be the biggest reason why we don’t see that much of any. NC could still be ok with time of day, but GA it’s the worst time of day. Yeah we have a cold punch but 2m temps do climb enough where it’s going to be a struggle initially. Now, what’s interesting to me is that for central GA the new nam is close to the .5” qpf... I think there could be more here because we have the heaviest rates and qpf. It will be interesting to see gfs and euro today. Notice how nam is showing how this could slow down a bit more as well. Hell look at the what was supposed to be early weekend storm, now late weekend and how much that slowed. Good for thought.
Thanks man, I always enjoy reading your post.

So far Nam and Icon started out good. Let's keep this trend going

Honestly I think the NW portion of the state is currently the best spot to receive any accumulating snow if it happens in Georgia. I’m still very hesitant on this setup. While it is unique and the NAM and Euro are very bullish with their snow amounts and moisture; history has shown that these very rarely produce much snow if any in Georgia. The 12z runs will be very interesting today to see how they lean.

Hope y'all reel this one in in AL/MS/TN/GA, this doesn't look like SC's storm. Although it has trended a little bit slower, I believe.

We can only hope lol. Most of us west of the Apps have seen zero wintry precip thus far, if not just a trace. Anything is a win.

Yeah, couple of challenges with this setup for SC and much of NC. The same mountains that help with CAD delay the arrival of cold air by a few hours, so that drastically cuts into the overlap of cold air/precip, plus the time of arrival afternoon versus late night/morning doesn't help.

Back