• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

I doubt places outside of the mountains will get over 1" of snow. Some places may get near 2" but overall, it's not going to be a big snow maker. The bigger concern will be the rapidly falling temps. and the roads freezing up. Icy conditions are likely across the area's that did get precip.
I agree, 1-2" is reasonable, but I can also see some 3s or 4s in isolated spots.

namconus_asnow_seus_29.png
3" outside of the mountains is excessive. Those areas that the model is showing 3" outside of the mountains, I'd knock off 1.5" off of that...so it's possible some areas will see 1.5" at most.

3" outside of the mountains is excessive. Those areas that the model is showing 3" outside of the mountains, I'd knock off 1.5" off of that...so it's possible some areas will see 1.5" at most.

So tell me why you would knock off half of that when we’ve had models overnight showing 3-4 and isolated 5? People in Alabama could very easily see 2-3 with the ways models are trending with heavier precip.

Not to mention POSSIBLE heavier rates if temps get to the 20s.

So tell me why you would knock off half of that when we’ve had models overnight showing 3-4 and isolated 5? People in Alabama could very easily see 2-3 with the ways models are trending with heavier precip.

I agree, last year we had folks saying knock off half of the clown map and that's what you will get. Guess what? I received my clown map in full last year LOL!!!

I just don't see widespread 2-3" of snow outside of the mountains. 1) The moisture will be limted. The Gulf will be "shut off" due to the NW flow. 2) The front is a fast mover. Sure, there could be isolated higher amounts.

In Alabama, if we get 1-2 inches, but precip ends at noon and sun comes out, won't most of it melt despite cold, especially on main roads?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just don't see widespread 2-3" of snow outside of the mountains. 1) The moisture will be limted. The Gulf will be "shut off" due to the NW flow. 2) The front is a fast mover. Sure, there could be isolated higher amounts.
Honestly, I agree of what your saying, I think 1-2 the best. Maybe some places pushing 3 or better. Depends where your at with the heavy bands are I guess. Really no one knows how much or less we gonna get, but I'm just happy to see snow.

That number "2" on the Fla/Ala line is about 40 miles north of me....I'd be fine with a few flurries here, especially during the day. When we get snow ( which isn't very often obviously) its usually at night.

That number "2" on the Fla/Ala line is about 40 miles north of me....I'd be fine with a few flurries here, especially during the day. When we get snow ( which isn't very often obviously) its usually at night.
40 miles isn't far to chase

In Alabama, if we get 1-2 inches, but precip ends at noon and sun comes out, won't most of it melt despite cold, especially on main roads?

If temps fall into the mid to upper 20’s as some models indicate not much melting would occur with only a few hours of sun. What did melt would refreeze after sunset.

Dead horse and all, but be careful with the tropical tidbits snow accum maps....I wouldn’t be surprised if some folks in the TN valley saw 2-3”, but I think you’re correct for areas further south & east, especially into GA see more than an inch or so with The downslope winds from the mountains.

Back