• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

If the western upstate north of 85 is lucky we may see an 1" out of this. The models seem as if they wanting to get closer to showing some for these areas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It looks like it will be moving through during the middle of the day in AL so that should help somewhat with the road conditions shouldn't it ?

Like maybe up to 5 GEFS members seem to want to bring that wave causing the early February system early I think based off the COD maps. Some are suppressed, but for those of us outside of the western parts of the SE, Tennessee, and NW Georgia, we want that idea to grow arms, legs, and a tail.

Outside of the immediate mountain areas, I would not look for much of anything east of the Appalachian chain. Could be a nice little storm for Tn, Ala, and N Mississippi though. Just not enough cold push coming over the mountains to help out in SC, NC and most of Ga. Unless a low forms on the frontal boundary (and I have seen no evidence of any energy doing that), the eastern areas of the board will have to wait until later and root the western areas on for a significant snow

Well FV3 Improved from previous runs precip heavier at start colder air gets there too and seems to hold together longer heading SE thru AL/GA meaning better totals thru Birmingham/ATL if that trend continues would be nice

00z
fv3p_asnow_eus_26.png

6z
fv3p_asnow_eus_25.png

12z
fv3p_asnow_eus_24.png

It looks like it will be moving through during the middle of the day in AL so that should help somewhat with the road conditions shouldn't it ?
The temps. will be falling very rapidly as the snow is falling. So, the moisture on untreated roads the will freeze quickly.

The temps. will be falling very rapidly as the snow is falling. So, the moisture on untreated roads the will freeze quickly.
But isn't there a bit of a lag between when temps fall below freezing and when roads start to freeze ? if it's 25 and snowing then yeah snow will start accumulating quickly, but if its 30 or so it's a lot more difficult unless its really coming down.

snowpocalypse atlanta says hey ;) point is will need to be monitored don't need a repeat if looks more like a sure thing

But isn't there a bit of a lag between when temps fall below freezing and when roads start to freeze ? if it's 25 and snowing then yeah snow will start accumulating quickly, but if its 30 or so it's a lot more difficult unless its really coming down.
IIRC correctly it was around 29 or 30 in ATL in Snow Jam 14 when the snow started, and it stuck immediately.

snowpocalypse atlanta says hey ;) point is will need to be monitored don't need a repeat if looks more like a sure thing

Could be, but doubtful. Before the snowjam everything was frozen by days of cold weather. Temps wetbulbing into the upper teens/low twenties helped as well.

Different setup here. Temps will not be as cold before and also roads will be wet from the rain beforehand. Problems could and probably will arise, but I wouldn't expect close to what the Snowjam did unless it really amps up totals.

While it's not going to be quite the same, in North Alabama where it's been colder and will be during this, I think the ground temps are already cold enough for there to be a 1/28/14 "like" scenario reoccurring. The only way it ends up not happening is if temps keep moderating. Then if it does, it will end up being the minor snow event that 1-2" should be. We've already seen a few here in the areas where it's possible say that they pretty much expect schools to shut down for the week if the cold snap does end up being really cold after the snow.

IIRC correctly it was around 29 or 30 in ATL in Snow Jam 14 when the snow started, and it stuck immediately.
It didn't get above 27 in 2014. Also, temps were not in the mid 40s the day it snowed either like it is forecast to be next Tuesday, so i'm sure roads were much colder then.

It was 25 at my house when the snow started in January 2014. It was around 10 am I think when the first flakes started to fall. 30 probably won't cause a problem during the day. It would need to be pretty cold for it to stick to roads during the day. Now, if this thing slows down and snows at dusk, different story.

While it's not going to be quite the same, in North Alabama where it's been colder and will be during this, I think the ground temps are already cold enough for there to be a 1/28/14 "like" scenario reoccurring. The only way it ends up not happening is if temps keep moderating. Then if it does, it will end up being the minor snow event that 1-2" should be. We've already seen a few here in the areas where it's possible say that they pretty much expect schools to shut down for the week if the cold snap does end up being really cold after the snow.
School shut down for the week ? Temps every day next week are forecast to be above freezing during the day, and with temps above freezing next Wednesday under lots of sunshine, the roads should be fine by next Wednesday afternoon. It's not like the south is going into a deep freeze with days below freezing.

Back