• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

I'm planning on heading back to Raleigh for school sometime around the 10th, though I can wait a few days longer. It sure would be nice to sneak in something before I have to go willfully degrade my snow chances.
You might want to be farther east if we get something like the Euro

Stronger 50/50 low/N/S injection but honestly with that look towards the end of the euro I’m almost worried things would be to suppressed
I wouldn't worry about suppression if the wave coming onshore is tapping into some real good Pacific moisture.

How do we have to trend to make it more favorable for the Upper SE, specifically the piedmont region?

Webb mentioned the block ridging ideally shifts more north to get more cold, we could get more ridging up on alaska, and I'd like to see stronger lower heigts off the east coast/eastern canada for stronger 50/50 lows. Don't see that on models so far through the first half of January. Hopefully we can benefit later down south. First half of the month the northeast and perhaps the midatlantic will likely score big.

Got a pretty good feeling that we’re gonna hand off the first storm or two in this pattern to the mid Atlantic. We could use a little snow cover to our north to help further lock in this great pattern. As we see a few storms run their course thru the first half of the month and lay some snow down to our north, the Greenland block begins to couple with the stratosphere, & continues retrograding poleward and westward, the air masses that plunge southward will become increasingly deeper/colder as we get into mid-January

Hence, I think the mid Atlantic and perhaps the mountains could score here inside the first 10-12 days of the January. Our window in the SE probably does not legitimately open up until about Jan 15 or so given the above info, but it should last for basically the rest of January at a minimum and given the SSWE, February is also looking favorable atm

Back