• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Idk man these CADs get stubborn once you drop precip in and saturate them. Probably going to be watching the warm front Saturday get to about I95 and run out of gas. Back when I was young we would have multi day CADs that would have a couple rounds of winter weather or you would be stuck at like 36 and fog for a few days. They don't make them like they used to
Looking at the GFS control for today looks like it busted too cold across the region though nailed RDU . Good sign perhaps it’s overdoing it . Cause these stratus clouds are depressing , got to have hope .

It's likely to be more of a step down then a sudden freezer door opening. Id love to be able to sneak a snow event in on the front end then see how cold it cold get and how long the snow stuck around.
Yep basically, gonna be a barrage of pacific waves and maybe the 3rd or 4th one produces, than maybe that stuff around AK retrogrades which allows a PNA ridge and the real cold is on sight with that, but the latter part is still more of a question, although eventually one would think it would retrograde, would be nice to get that tall poleward ridge like the EPS shows towards the end of the run

I want to believe. But I'm having a real hard time finding the cold air. That pic you posted (thanks by the way!)doesn't even show the 850s getting south of the nc/sc line, not to mention boundary layer and surface temps. That's a huge red flag to me that although we can have the right alignment for storms, they'll likely be rain.

I know it's a mean, averaged out, etc but these modeled temps don't say southeast winter storm to me. What am I missing?
View attachment 61185
The GEFS is probably too warm. But I agree, cold enough air to snow is going to be hard to come by until the 3rd week of January at the earliest imo. Going to be a lot of complaining and I'll likely be doing some of it.

The effects of the SSW would not be appreciated until the end of the month or early February, I believe. Until then I’m just hoping to not torch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gonna be hard to torch when you basically have a el nino pattern with wave after wave after wave going under the block, wouldn’t shock me if we see a few 50/60 degree days, especially ahead any cold front but that’s been hard to sniff already

For once in quite a while it appears that we are establishing a favorable pattern that won’t just become a torch next week. Because of the possible longevity of this pattern, I’d be almost certain that SOMEBODY on this board will see some sort of action in the near future.
Yeah I remember in the past with a -EPO going from vodka cold at 12z to going to 15+ anomalies and the ridge flex centered over the SE trending west at 00z, -NAO over that anyday

Yep basically, gonna be a barrage of pacific waves and maybe the 3rd or 4th one produces, than maybe that stuff around AK retrogrades which allows a PNA ridge and the real cold is on sight with that, but the latter part is still more of a question, although eventually one would think it would retrograde, would be nice to get that tall poleward ridge like the EPS shows towards the end of the run
Yeah the western ridge is really the hope if you want to drive in legitimate long lasting cold where there is no doubt we have a shot at winter storms. Until then it's more of the seasonably cool stuff. Thankfully though it's mid winter and we can probably do ok with a well timed cP airmass in place with a suppressed pattern.

Gfs/cfs trying to crap things up in the PNW and west Canada in late January
Normally I would agree with it given the Nina but models in the long range have really busted with that Nina look, guess it depends on how long the Atlantic block stays

IMO, I wouldn't freak out about surface temps. I would look at 850s because based on this look if we do get a good storm track, we can get some CAA to cool the surface enough for snow. I'm not saying we'll see Vodka cold in week two, although, I wouldn't bet against that later in the month.

Back